Main Menu

Bicarbonate of soda?!

Started by Bee, April 29, 2007, 11:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

I've heard that you can use bicarb on your beads to produce different effects. Could someone please explain how to and post pics of the effects produced?

Thank you!

;D

Annelyse

Bee,

The way I use it:

I make a beads in transparent glass and then roll it in bicarbonate soda. Then I heat it again, which create bubbles in the glass, then I encase the bead. It's quite a nice effect (it looks a bit like seeded glass). I'll try to find a picture.

I think you can also use it on opaque glass for an aged look.

Annelyse

Annelyse

Here's a picture!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bee

Wow! Thanks for such a quick answer! I might have to try it... Soon...

Mary

If you leave it on the surface and heat it, you get a pitted, aged look too. Not my style, but I've seen it look great!

Bee

Trudi

There is a lady on Ebay  - artfulbeadcreations who has done this - and they look stunning - sometimes they look like natural stones - I didn't think it'd be my thing - but they look stunning - I haven't tried it yet - but keep meaning to!

♥♥Tan♥♥

I seem to remember there was a lot about this on Lampwork etc at one time, might be worth moseying over and doing a search...looooaaads of eye candy over there :)

♥♥Tan♥♥

Trudi

LOL - I actually have the bicarb in the studio ready to go - but there always seems to besomething else to try  - and before I know it time has slipped away!

I'm having a jewellery party on Friday (I'm new to lampwork but I've been making jewellery for a few years now) - and I was pankiking that I didn't have enough pieces made with my own beads - but whay I'm planning to do is to have orpahn beads & sets laid out for people to see and from there they might say - oh can you make me a bracelet from that - etc!! A new way to try - I have taken beads into work and I've been asked to make things up from them - and again it makes the jewellery more individual!
Trudi x

♥♥Tan♥♥

Have you tried just making up odd beads as charms to go on a charm bracelet, those are always popular!!

Trudi

I love odd or orpahn beads - as you say they make great charms - I use then on phone charms & bag charms too - I tend not to give them up as I always find a uase for them.

Before I made my own beads I was given a load of orpahns and I'd look at them all the time. I had a couple of different orange ones that were jsut stunning - and I had them for ages before I used them. One went on a book mark for me - I'm a fiddler and I always admire the bead when I pick up my book. The other went on a bag cham with pinks & purples (love that combo) and it really stands out!!

The beauty of making my own beads is that I can make the colour combos I like!!

♥♥Tan♥♥

Isn't it amazing when you were pre-bead maker and all glass beads were gorgeous even the chinese imports....now when you look at them you can see the beauty in the ones that deserve it and the sloppyness in the mass produced

Trudi

I know. Someone once made me a special foacl bead with 2 holes in - my mind is noe boggling!! I have so much more appreciation for the work and craftmanship that I perviously took for granted!

LesleyMac

I've got lots of odd beads :)

However I am also one of the few it seems who has tried the bicard to "age" beads and it works a treat, however that look pretty crappy to be honest - you know like old aged beads.  ;D

However having seen what Annelyse has done I gotta give it another try with transparent.
Lesley
Everyone is gifted, its just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others
(Richard Wilkins)

My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5469196