Main Menu

Pink effrette

Started by topkitten165, April 28, 2007, 11:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topkitten165

I'm having difficulty keeping my pink glass pink. When i heat it it goes a smoky grey. What am i doing wrong?

LesleyMac

Sounds like you are getting it too hot, try working it further out in the flame, it doesen't like too much heat.
Lesley
Everyone is gifted, its just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others
(Richard Wilkins)

My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5469196

glassworks

Shannon

Sounds like you are reducing it, Rubino is especially prone to this.  Are you on a hothead?  If so that is likely your problem.

mams

Does this mean you can only do reduction with a dual fuel!

Michelle.x

Isabelle

Not at all! HH's are great for reduction.You need to starve the flame of oxygen.

Trudi

Best way to reduce the oxygen is to wrap tin foil around the airholes at the base of the HH. I saw this somewhere else on here. I have a ring that I let fall loose at the bottom, and when I want a reduction flame I pinch it together and holdit so it blocks the air holes.

When you wrap it around make it so you have enough to hold onto. When you then put the bead in the flame it will go yellow & bushy!

♥♥Tan♥♥

the opalinos reduce really easily too, they are the neither clear nor opaque rods ;)

Mary

The low oxy of a reduction flame brings metals to the surface of the glass, but there is unburned fuel in a reduction flame, that can deposit on the glass.
The problem with the HH is that it is always slightly reducing, because it uses air rather than oxy. So some sensitive colours, like rubino, are harder to keep "clean."

♥♥Tan♥♥

Mary

You laughing at me Tan? Eh?  >:( ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

No i'm trying to sound intelligent by repeating what you say......its my only hope :'(

Mary

♥♥Tan♥♥

Mary

Hey Tan, you're an Uber Gobsh*te!