Any good tricks for storing stringers????

Started by Grody, May 28, 2010, 06:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sublimekate

Helen G

I have one of the test tube racks from eBay that Kaz found a while ago. £16.50 I think? I just group them in similar colours and keep things like rubino, silvered ivory, silver glasses etc in thier own tubes. 

Studio Girl

jammie

Different size glasses from asda , very cheap, heavy bottom so they dont fall over.
I do like the pencil holder idea though  :)

Grody

Hey people, thanks to all for your swift replies - most interesting. A frequent use of jam jars it seems, with also a regular incidence of cutlery trays.

On reflection, perhaps I'm a bit too a*al, as my homemade polystyrene tray seems a bit OTT in comparison - and yet, it does offer easy access to each colour, and clear sight of the little bits too. (pics below in case my initial description was unclear). I'll give it some more thought but more of these trays, despite being a faff to make in polystyrene/PVA, may still be my choice. I have two contrasting colours in each slot at the moment, with 8 more little bunches in rubber bands waiting for a home

Thanks for a great response to my first post!

Dragonfire Glass

mine are all jumbled up on a baking sheet but I do have test tubes with some in and I try to have a rod and stringer in each and I reserve them for specials

Ilona

I stick mine in an oasis foam block.

I group colours together and they are easy to get hold of when needed.

Shirley

I've got testtubes in racks and love them. I label each tube so I know what's what. I don't have very long stringers so it's fairly easy to get hold of the ones I want without breaking others.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Grody on May 31, 2010, 09:26:38 PM
...perhaps I'm a bit too a*al...

Nope, please continue.  This way my glass database complete with session log does not look OTT.  And my habit of cleaning all the glass and labelling it with supplier and date received does not look like a step to far.

So I expect you to post often  ;)  :-* (please  ;D )
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Kaz

Are you all mad :o All that stuff eats into torching time :P
I only label stuff I can't identify by eye!
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Trudi

I pull them as I need them - if I have a decent size left and it's not to fragile I'll pop it in the rack with the rest of the glass!

I have some test tube racks that I store goldstone and dichro stringers in  - but again, I don't make loads of it, just what's left over!

Kaz - I've recently had to start labelling things like straw yellow and rose glass (I there are a few pinks that look so similar in the rod!) and I label my silver glass now too as there are a few that look quite similar!

Krysia@No98

I gave some glass to a friend a few weeks ago and it was all ready when I sent it to her.

I think it's going to be a while before I can identify alot of it by eye and not using the words that's a yellow

Kaz

Quote from: Trudi on June 01, 2010, 09:59:54 AM
I pull them as I need them - if I have a decent size left and it's not to fragile I'll pop it in the rack with the rest of the glass!

I have some test tube racks that I store goldstone and dichro stringers in  - but again, I don't make loads of it, just what's left over!

Kaz - I've recently had to start labelling things like straw yellow and rose glass (I there are a few pinks that look so similar in the rod!) and I label my silver glass now too as there are a few that look quite similar!
I keep them in the batches and ensure that one rod within each batch is labelled. I also have the eff chart with the samples in. CIM, Reichenbach and ASK is easy to identify and most Bullseye comes pre-labelled anyway. I do label silver glass of course - it's over £3 a rod so could be an expensive mistake!!!
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Grody

The interesting thing for me is to pick up on the different approaches between beaders and fusers. I hadn't realised (until asking my question) that I'd stepped into a beader's stronghold! - or is it just that beaders are nicer, more open, more helpful people, who are willing to contribute to a friendly exchange of views? Yay!

(I'm a fuser, as if you hadn't guessed!)

Anyone know what % split there is on here between the two?

Krysia@No98

Ooo that's very neat and tidy

For all that I do to organise my workspace so I 'know' what rod I'm using, my actual work space is quite a mess when I'm using it regularly.

(It's looking most forlorn and tidy at the mo)