Main Menu

Annealing beads

Started by Sandra, April 24, 2007, 11:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudi

Hi Sal

While I appreciate your comments about people needding to look up the information for themselves - you're right there. But as Sandra also pointed out  - lots of sites give different information, and that gets quite confusing. And isn't that part of the point of the Newbies Section on the forum to have a place to ask these questions - and for others to share that information? If anyone doesn't wish to answer the question, that is their perogative too.

The reason I asked about where to find the information about temp & the soaking times & cooling etc - was that when I first got my kiln - I read & read and it made no sense whatsoever (I also had some booksand that didn't help) - then there was a post for the information. The more I've read since - and tried things out  - it started to make sense. Then I saw your post and some of the times were different - so I wanted to be able to figure that inforamtion out for myself (and like wise - others who read the post could do like wise).

Thanks

Trudi!

♥♥Tan♥♥

I had the same problem when I got my kiln Trudi, I read everything everywhere and the only thing that I gained was a head full of whirring confusion. So, I asked the question over on LE and some kind soul offered to phone me up and talk me through it from her point of view, it helped!!

So the moral of this story is, find someone who speaks your language and go with them, its the simplest thing ;D ;D If I can help in any way pm me but Sal has it pretty much covered :)

Vicki

when I got my kiln I knew what i wanted it to do, I was just so confused about what buttons to press...I know that sounds silly...but Colette talked me through it on the phone which helped alot

Trudi

Hi thanks guys  :D

I am ok programming my kiln as I have the settings - I just wanted to understand more about the actaul programming for types of glass and sizes etc. The programme I have is working fine - it's just that on other posts I see that the times etc vary a little - and I guess this will depend on the glass type - the size etc and personal preference!! I shal do some more digging!

Have jsut got some new glass in from Q - and have some lovely colours and can't wait to get playing!

T x

Shirley

What did you get, Trudi?
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Trudi

Ohh lots   - only got some of my order as I ordered in 2 stages.

But I got some

CIM Gelly's Sty
Celadon - the shine off the rods is stunning

Lauscha
Trans Dark Violet - looks Scrummy
Trans Orange - Oh biy am I excited about that!
Trans Yellow

Just need some play time now!

Shirley

Sounds good - can't wait to see what you come up with :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Redhotsal

Quote from: shine-on2 on April 26, 2007, 05:49:22 PM
lots of sites give different information, and that gets quite confusing......  Then I saw your post and some of the times were different - so I wanted to be able to figure that inforamtion out for myself (and like wise - others who read the post could do like wise).

Like I said - glass is an strange substance - it is not specific. There is no recipe that will fit all circumstances.

The bottom line is.......if you aren't sure about the annealing characteristics of the glass you're using and your getting conflicting information......

Ask the manufacturer.

If they don't know the specifics of the glass they're manufacturing then who the hell does??

Just a cautionary word.
I know that there's loads of different glass out there which is great and exciting and all that and is apparently all the same coe, and everyone's got rakes of different stuff....ASK, CIM, Lauscha, Vetrofond etc etc. Just be a little careful when you're mixing it all up. It's not always truly compatible. How can it be? ..... it's been made in different factories.

What sort of annealing curve are you using for all this glass? Lauscha and Effetre have the same coe (allegedly) but you have to anneal Lauscha for a heck of a sight longer Effetre. Do you know that your stuff is truly annealed?

How can you tell?

Revontulet

Hi Sal - just wanted to say thanks for the info re the polarising filter test.

I've wondered how you know if your beads are annealed properly - I've gone through the annealing cycle, but my kiln doesn't hold a constant temperature very well - it varies by about 20 degrees when 'holding' (& I'm manually ramping - kitchen timer). The polarising test would confirm if I'm doing it OK.

My OH may have a set of filters in his old camera gear - if not I'll email you for a set of filters if you have some left...

Thanks.
Dawn

Shannon

Quote from: Redhotsal on April 26, 2007, 11:38:18 PM
Just a cautionary word.
I know that there's loads of different glass out there which is great and exciting and all that and is apparently all the same coe, and everyone's got rakes of different stuff....ASK, CIM, Lauscha, Vetrofond etc etc. Just be a little careful when you're mixing it all up. It's not always truly compatible. How can it be? ..... it's been made in different factories.

Ditto to that one.  In fact glass coming from the same factory won't necessarily be compatible (reference Effetre Opalinos).  The only glass rod line which I am 100% confident in their compatibility is Bullseye because they test the heck out of their glass.  All this really means though is you shouldn't be super surprised if a bead you make with a cross section of the 104 COE range breaks someday. 

♥♥Tan♥♥

Throw them onto a quarry tiled kitchen floor, if they survive that then they're annealed ;D ;D

Trudi

And tears if your pretties don't survive!!! LOL

Thanks for the tip Sal. The reason that made me ask in the first place is that the soaking time I was using for effetre was longer than you had mentioned. I've been doing some reseach - not all the manufacturers have the info on their websites, but I've been emailing them for the info!

Trudi

I've been looking up temp for Lauscha - I emailed them and got an email right back from Marcie Davis:

Hi Trudi,

Congratulations on making your own beads! Fun, isn't it?

The annealing temperature for Lauscha Glass is
968F
It softens at 986F, so don't go that high!!!

Enjoy your adventure. The larger the beads, the longer you should hold it at the annealing temperature.

Marcie

968°F - translates to 520°C = Same as effetre which is also at the lower end of the range Q talked about for CIM! (The CIM discussion was under the technical section - there was a discussion about annealing temp for different coloured CIM rods!)

Trudi x

Redhotsal

Good work Trudi!
Sounds like you're rapidly becoming an annealling expert as opposed to a "newbie" ! I've certainly learned something!
Hope you get on ok with your kiln
Sal