creation is messy glass annealing

Started by mindy23, April 23, 2007, 11:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassworks

thanks trudi - what i love about the glass business is how keen everyone is to "show and tell" or even "do and tell"... what a pleasure dealing with folks like you!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;)

Kathy Seamands

This is my first post on Frit Happens: hello everyone!  My e-mail is Kathy@creationismessy.com so I hope all of you will feel free to contact me directly with any questions about Messy Color.  Also, if you happen to see a thread (like this one) that needs a response, please shoot me a quick email to let me know.  (In this case, thanks for the heads up, Q!)

Sounds like you have already seen the annealing ranges for Messy Colors that we have tested to date.  Creation is Messy scientifically tests annealing temperature ranges for each color separately to provide accurate and complete information to our customers. We hope that the annealing chart will optimize your working environment. 

Sarah is correct – most people have reported to us that Messy needs to be worked hot and put into the annealer quickly.  Batch annealing is not advised.

We recommend your target annealing temperature should match the color with the highest temperature as shown in the chart, or the other manufacturer's highest temperature, whichever is highest.

Our testers all successfully annealed their test beads at the standard, advertised range for other 104 glasses with the exception of Cirrus, Halong Bay and Peacock Green. Artwork incorporating any of these three colors needs to be annealed at the higher temperature range of 970 to 1090° F.  We are working with our chemists to find out whether there is a way that we can lower the annealing temperature without sacrificing the requested working properties of these three colors.  (They were engineered to respond to customer requests for opals that would stay translucent despite long torching times and annealing.)

I hope that answers your questions.  If not, ask away!  Also please keep me informed about your experiences working with Messy Color.  I love to hear what everyone is doing.

Best regards,
Kathy

Kathy Seamands
Creation is Messy
Messy Color™
[tel]   206-817-8658
[web] CreationIsMessy.com
[mail] Kathy@CreationIsMessy.com
Kathy Seamands

Creation is Messy
Messy Color™

[tel]   1-206-774-0876
[web] CreationIsMessy.com
[mail] Kathy@CreationIsMessy.com

glassworks

thanks kathy for the prompt reply - i'll make sure all the people who bought CiM from me in europe also get this... ;)

*rowanberry*

Does anyone know what temp effetre starts to soften? Because I work in 6-8hr shifts and make all different sets in one shift, and would use say CIM for a set at one point, then effetre later for another....
I anneal as I go, so if I used the higher temp thats needed for Cirrus for the effetre, would it effect the effetre (try saying that after a few drinks!)

Sorry if this is a thick question - any talk of annealling at other than 520c and my brain starts to go to mush....
Claire

Mary

You could garage at your usual temp, then raise it for a soak before ramping down?

Shirley

How about making your CIM beads first, raising them to their annealing temperature for an hour, during which time you pull stringers, vacuum, have a cuppa etc, then set your kiln so that it ramps down to your garaging temp for other glass, make your other beads, back up to their temp to anneal, and then complete your normal cycle? I don't really know anything, by the way :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver