Nortel Midrange Question

Started by stuwaudby, April 21, 2010, 12:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuwaudby

I have a couple of Nortel minors but finding them a bit limiting and slow for large beads and am thinking about investing in a larger torch. I would ideally like a torch with a variable flame diameter which can be turned up as a piece gets bigger.

The tuffnells website states that the Nortel Midrange has a flame size from needle to 1 inch diameter. I would really appreciate some advice from user of Midranges.

Stuart

Helen G

I have the midrange with a minor top so best of both. The midrange is quite adjustable but certainly runs a lot hotter than the minor even when turned low. I run mine on tanked oxygen but if you are on an oxycon I think you would need 2.   

madpup

Everything Helen said, i run mine on two and i really think it needs one more for boro.
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

stuwaudby

I think you are telling me that the Midrange will always generate more heat than a minor. This leads me to believe that it cannot be turned down to a "needle" of flame as described by Tuffnells.

Yours views and experience is very useful, thanks. Keep it coming!

Stacy

I also have the midrange with a minor top.
I run on 2 oxys (running at about 3/4 each) and have no problems working boro on either torch.

I have to say that I did have a lot of problems getting a really fine flame which was hot enough to do anything on either 104 or boro, I needed it to be PINPOINT so I could attach small segments onto larger pieces (which were quite small themselves)

In the end I was lent a Sievert hand torch which I use alongside my main mounted torch.

Saying that from your original message you seem happy with the smallest size flame and are more interested in the larger one. I think the largest boro piece I have worked on my setup was about 1 and 1/2 inches and it was quite comfortable.

Stacy

Quote from: stuwaudby on April 22, 2010, 11:30:32 AM
I think you are telling me that the Midrange will always generate more heat than a minor. This leads me to believe that it cannot be turned down to a "needle" of flame as described by Tuffnells.

In my experience I would say no, but then i'm no torch expert and I guess its possible that with a few adjustments to my setup I could do it? Having said that I did play around quite extensively with no luck.

I guess its dependant on what you want to do, for making beads and doing stringer work it was fine.

Ian Pearson

I have always used pre-mix burners rather than surface mix as I find the latter offer a fluffy flame compared to a pin point flame from a pre-mix. I like the mixture of working large borosilicate in a large flame then for heating in small angles using a flame with maybe  a width of less than 1mm.

Ian