Annealing beads with silver wire

Started by Frenchie, April 08, 2010, 09:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frenchie

Hello....

I got a bit carried away with the silver wire yesterday and made a whole load of beads wrapped with ...er silver wire.  I'm just about to bung them all in the kiln for the usual batch annealing programme but I'm wondering if I need to adjust the temperature or programme to account for the silver?  My thinking is that the wire is too soft and will some how evaporate or discolour......as if by magic... :-\.....?

If you have any thoughts before I push the button I would be most grateful.

Thank you!

Trudi

I've never changed my annealing for beads with silver wire!

Lush!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Frenchie

Thank you for the quick response....wowzers!  Right here we go then..... ;D

Krysia@No98

If it was to discolour it would do so in the flame.  This would indicate that you are working with Stirling silver and not fine silver.  ;)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Frenchie

aaaaaahhhhhhaaa Krysia  - interesting.  I bought 'fine' silver wire specifically but now you mention it looking at my white and pastel pink wrapped beads, they have a very yellow tinge around the silver.  Hmmmmmmm.  :o

Kalorlo

Sterling goes black. I think Julie (Lush) had a thread somewhere about looking for pink glass that doesn't react with silver.

Kaz

Quote from: Frenchie on April 15, 2010, 10:08:28 AM
aaaaaahhhhhhaaa Krysia  - interesting.  I bought 'fine' silver wire specifically but now you mention it looking at my white and pastel pink wrapped beads, they have a very yellow tinge around the silver.  Hmmmmmmm.  :o
Pure silver has a habit of "fuming" the paler colours anyway - so there is usually some yellowing.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Trudi

you'll get different reactions too with different clears - I guess it's all to do with formulations!.

But pinks are coloured with gold so they are more prone to it. I tried it with either pearl pink or mystic (not 100% sure as both my batches look very similar) and it wasn't as obvious!

Lush!

I definitely find pinks and whites the trickiest but if you turn the propane down a bit, you may avoid the fuming. You also have to watch ivory and coral, these can go quite "rustic" if overheated with silver wire.

Frenchie

ah ok  - thats the problem then.  Back to the shed for me and try again.  Feeling a little tired of silver wire now.  Julie can you come round to my house and do them for me  ;) ....!  Your silver wrapped beads are so lovely.....perhaps I should just order from you!

Lush!