A question for Cricket owners

Started by helbels, April 07, 2010, 02:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helbels

Hi All

I have a question about the Cricket, if you have one, can you help?

I know this sounds daft, but how "long" is the flame on a Cricket?  The reason for asking is that I work about 2 feet away from a wall, and so can't have anything that produces a flame thrower style flame! 

I have seen Kay's Carlisle Mini CC in action, and while I know it's fab, its flame is rather lengthy which could cause me problems...

I was wondering if a Cricket's flame is any "shorter"!

Thanks
Helen.

Lush!

I have a Cricket for teaching on, the working flame is really as long as you want it to be!  But I do find the gas valve is quite 'loose' and I have to warn students because when they first light it, it is a flamethrower - easy to overcome by opening the valve then almost closing it again before lighting it.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Redkite

I can vouch for the "Flamethrower" effect: you really don't need to open the gas valve very far at all! My table is 75cm deep and when I'm working normally, the flame gets nowhere near (I'd say about half that distance), so you'd be fine as long as you are careful when lighting it. I bought a stainless steel kitchen splashback to prevent the wall getting torched - it is just propped up at the back of the table. Of course, you can also tilt the nozzle of the torch up at a 45 degree angle (or more), which keeps the flame further away from the wall (as long as you can adjust your seat height/creation station etc to suit). I work with the torch pointing upwards and it's the cooker hood that gets the brunt of the flamethrower effect - it's covered in soot!!

Redkite

Just found this from Martin Tuffnell in another thread:

Flame length on the cricket , working at 4 ltrs per minute was 5" ,radiated heat could just be felt at 9" .

Martin

Dee Dee

I'm on a Cricket, working about a bench top's distance from the wall!  You quickly get used to just turning the propane a teenie amount and it doesn't throw a flame!  That said, I do have a tiled board sitting in front of the wall just in case! But I would have that there regardless of the torch used.

Shirley

If you're worried about the flame shooting out why not get a sheet of stainless steel from a DIY place and place it against your wall. It's not too expensive.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver