Suggested glass for a newbie 12 year old (and me I suppose!)

Started by Zeldazog, April 07, 2010, 09:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeldazog

Hi

Well, we're almost certainly coming to Flame Off, which means I  best buy Ashley a bit of glass... I can't really spend loads, as I have a degree show, and five days on London for me to fund, as well as Holland and Germany for him....

So, any suggestions as to what would be good to start - he's got a Hothead (when I set it up) and he's had a couple of goes on dual fuel torches, not been on the HH yet.

Any suggestions as to what we could buy, that's a bit idiot proof, as it will probably be the blind leading the blind when we do get set up.

Thanks!

princess pink

hey hunny

why not just got for a mixed pack of effetre opaques and trans? and then i would get a 1/4kg of white and ivory.

you get quite a lot in those mixed packs and is great for trying loads colours xx

Kaz

Dawn - I am going to stick my neck out here and suggest you won't need to buy anything to get Ashley started.
I, for one, am happy to chuck in a couple of rods and I know some of my mates will too. So, I'll ask Emma to organise a little box at the Flame Off and we can all bring bits and bobs to chuck in for him to get started. Maybe some odds and ends of other stuff too like frit etc.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

dinah46

Quote from: Kaz on April 07, 2010, 09:45:15 AM
Dawn - I am going to stick my neck out here and suggest you won't need to buy anything to get Ashley started.
I, for one, am happy to chuck in a couple of rods and I know some of my mates will too. So, I'll ask Emma to organise a little box at the Flame Off and we can all bring bits and bobs to chuck in for him to get started. Maybe some odds and ends of other stuff too like frit etc.
Kazx

Just what I was thinking, I'll bring a few bits as well :)

noora

A bunch of clear is good to have too :-) I started out with a mix pack but forgot to buy some extra clear glass, so I had to order some from Tuffnells when the only rod I had ran out. Then while I was at it, I just had to get some more dark ivory, turquoise, yummy violets and lilacs, a selection of greens etc... Once you go down that road you end up spending a lot more than you intended ;-)

By the way, make sure you both have a pair of didys so that you can help each other out at the torch.

Kaz

I have 3 boxes of shorts going to newbies, but I am sure I can muster up another one and perhaps others may add to that as well!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Zeldazog

Shahlaa, thanks for the suggestion, I'll be honest, I have not looked yet at what was available - I guessed there would be mixed packs, just didn't know what was an "easy, plays well, glass"

Kaz, Di, well, what can I say, except I am sat here with tears in my eyes, Ashley too, soppy gits that we are - what a lovely, and generous offer, you are so so kind.  Honestly, we are both blown away.  Off to dry my eyes, I have to drive to Uni soon!

XX

Shirley

I've got a cardboard box with some shorts and a load of random stringers from when I last cleared my desk. Ashley is welcome to have them if he'd like. Might be able to find a few other bits and pieces as well. :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Trudi

Dawn - you've always been great to me, and Ashley is a dream - I'm sure I can find you some bits and some frit!

Opaques tend to melt faster but when hot can get sloppy and transparents tend to be a little stiffer, but once melted are easier to shape up and round. But it's all a learning curve - and there's so much to learn. But that's the fun of it!

Jolene

Quote from: dinah46 on April 07, 2010, 09:47:18 AM
Kazx

Count me in for this too ;D

Dragonfire Glass

Trudi

Quote from: Failariel on April 07, 2010, 10:21:07 AM
I can find a bunch of not-so-short shorts too  ;D

I have visions of you now in a pair of long shorts  ;D  ;D  ;D

Dragonfire Glass

Quote from: Trudi on April 07, 2010, 10:22:06 AM
Quote from: Failariel on April 07, 2010, 10:21:07 AM
I can find a bunch of not-so-short shorts too  ;D

I have visions of you now in a pair of long shorts  ;D  ;D  ;D

nooooooooooo!

SilverGems89

Quote from: Jolene on April 07, 2010, 10:20:40 AM
Quote from: dinah46 on April 07, 2010, 09:47:18 AM
Kazx

Count me in for this too ;D

Absolutely me too! i have just tons of effetre and some commercial stringers thats i'll sort Ashley a few bits and bobs out of  ;D

Black Heart Beads