Main Menu

Bulk Annelling

Started by Stacy, April 16, 2007, 04:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacy

I just wanted some advice really on the whole 'bulk annelling' thing.

As I do quite a few different things during the day its very rare that I get the chance to sit down at my torch for long periods of time.
I maybe make 2 - 3 beads in a session and on a good day can maybe get 5 sessions in throughout the day. Because of this weird way of working my kiln is basically on for 12 hours each day before ramping down. I guess this is OK if I manange to get a load of beads in but more often than not the max in there is about 10.
So I was thinking that bulk annelling might be a better way for me to work and is a little more economical.

Saying that I really am not sure how it works.

I'm guessing that the beads are made, popped in the vermicilite and when a days batch is done they go in the kiln overnight to reduce the stresses in the glass? Is that right?

If so I have a few questions...

1. What kind of program do I set for my kiln. Is it the normal one with the beads being in there from the start of the program?
   2. Do they need to be removed from the mandrel before going in?
   3. Won't there be more chance of the beads cracking if cooled in vermicilite?

Any help would be grately appriciated.

Many Thanks
Stacy

Les

Although I can't advise on a suitable kiln program,but  I can tell you that the beads will be fine when cooled in vermiculite as long as they are not absolutely huge.. or really complex.. such as hollow vessels and such like.

There is more of a chance of beads cracking upon cooling in the vermiculite.. but as I see it, it just means that those that cool minus the cracks are going to be very robust.

Once cooled, the beads can then be removed from their mandrels and either placed on the kiln shelf, or made into bead kebabs like HP does them, but don't try to clean them out before they have been annealed... chances of breakages are much higher.

I have been beading now for almost 2 years and only very rarely have I lost a bead during the bulk annealing process..... I own a very old and clunky ceramic kiln with no digital controller... it works for me Stacy :)

Well... I've either helped or totally confused you there... if you want to know anything , just drop me a PM ....

I'm pretty certain that Helen P has previously posted a schedule for the SC2 for batch annealing before on here.... ?

Les xx

Les

Stacy

Thanks Les, that is actually a great deal of help.

I'm going to have a look for the program and see if it is still around.

When I used to cool my beads in vermicilite I only ever had a few breakages and these were always when trying to remove them from the mandrel. Is it essential that the beads are removed before annelling or can I just pop them in the kiln on the mandrels and then remove once properly annelled?

BTW.. I have no idea if I am spelling annelling/annelled correctly, it just doesn't look right to me.

Stacy

Quote from: Les on April 16, 2007, 04:58:51 PM
There might be some info of some use to you in this thread here..

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=859.msg27871#msg27871

Thanks for that - off to have a browse right now

Les

I suppose you could leave them on their mandrels ... it's just never occurred to me as I can't do that with my kiln...

Glad to have helped in some way :)

Les x