Silver hooks

Started by aercraft, March 18, 2010, 04:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefairy

Quote from: aercraft on March 18, 2010, 09:52:03 PM

What size are the wall hangings that you use the 1mm copper for? 

The biggest ones I do with one hook are about 4cm x 25cm, I find copper is stronger than fine silver though

I like George's idea of maybe wrapping it in sterling silver after, that would make it lovely and strong, or the clear silicone would protect it nicely too.  Make sure you post piccies for us, we like to see a plan come together!!   ;D
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

dinah46

I use nichrome wire, nice and tough and fuses in well :)

mizgeorge

That was what was at the back of my mind Diane! I knew there was a silver coloured alternative, but couldn't remember the name :)

dinah46

I use it for all my hangers on fused glass wall and window hangers.  It's a nice tough hanger that doesn't discolour in the kiln.

aercraft

Ah, don't know anything about nichrome - off to google it - is it hard to work?
Anne

dinah46

Quote from: aercraft on March 19, 2010, 07:14:15 PM
Ah, don't know anything about nichrome - off to google it - is it hard to work?

here is nichrome wire at wires

It's stiffer than silver but pretty easy to shape

aercraft

Is nichrome as shiny as silver - wikipedia describes it as silver-grey and although it looks nice and shiny on the reel, does it stay like that after firing? 

Another page I found via google (forget where now) recommended not using it with clear as 'it's not pretty', as they put it - but this project will be with clear.

Anne

aercraft

Quote from: bluefairy on March 19, 2010, 05:30:18 PM

I like George's idea of maybe wrapping it in sterling silver after, that would make it lovely and strong, or the clear silicone would protect it nicely too.  Make sure you post piccies for us, we like to see a plan come together!!   ;D

Love your bright colours there!

I'll try and get some photos when it's done - and I'll certainly let you know how it all works out.  Or not!

Thanks!
Anne