Thrifty Frugal Tips and Tricks for FlameWorkers

Started by funkibeads, March 06, 2010, 09:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeanniegems

Just come unstuck here a bit, I bid on a salton hot tray some time ago in the mistaken belief that someone would bid more. I won the bid and got the hot tray for £1.04, woopee, now I see it has postage of £12.00 not such a bargain, Moral of this story.....don't be too hasty!
still my rods will be warmer!

Jeannie
www.jeanniegems.co.uk
www.jeanniegems.etsy.com

Yellow friend

I stick my mandrels in a couple of pots of sand.  I also use an aluminium ice cube tray which lost its 'cube bit' to rest my hot rods on/lob shorts in when hot.  My work surface is a large black marble off cut from a kitchen my husband fitted -  he couldn't bear to throw it out so sat in the garage for a few years. Funny I still manage to find the bits of table that it doesn't cover, I quite like the smell of smouldering oak.  :D
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

Kalorlo

I picked up a set of two chamois leather sponges from the pound shop today, then got some velcro strips so I can attach them to the G clamps at the front of my bench for elbow rests  ;D

I also got a stainless steel icecream scoop plus shallow spoons that look like they could be interesting for shaping.

noora

I use a couple of old ugly promotional mousemats as elbow rests :)

Emma @ Tuffnell Glass

ROLF Lovin this thread  ;D
I am about to throw away one of those huge george grills with the griddle plate on. Maybe it would be of some use...glass rod warmer and goldstone/milli warmer??? Hmm maybe a little big. If anyone wants it. PM Me...not sure how I would get it to you mind...if only we were having some kind of get - together next month ;)
Em xx

hollergrafik

Quote from: Kalorlo on March 20, 2010, 03:15:12 PM
I picked up a set of two chamois leather sponges from the pound shop today, then got some velcro strips so I can attach them to the G clamps at the front of my bench for elbow rests  ;D

I also got a stainless steel icecream scoop plus shallow spoons that look like they could be interesting for shaping.

what a great idea, I will be getting myself a couple of these now.

princess pink

not sure if i have posted already but i got 3 huge floor tiles from wicks for 50p each (instead of £10 each) because each one had a cracked broken off corner! Don't ask don't get! Also i have 4 small glasses from sainsburys basics range which were £1 for 4 which i use to hold all my shorts and stringers.

i also buy small rectangular labels from smiths and label all my silver glass/special glass rods so i never get them mixed up. an expensive mistake to make!!

Yellow friend

I melt one end of my silvered glass rods - so it shows its a silvered glass, then work from the other end.  I too have used Triton thinking it was cobalt  :o
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

Veebee

Need charcoal to produce a reduction atmosphere in your kiln? Then look no further than your local pet shop! The activated charcoal sold for fish tanks is about £2.50 for 100g and that will last for ages and ages and ages and ages..........
;D
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

Ilona

Here is my frugal homemade base for my catwalk press.

Note the nail, is bent slightly out at the top so I can use the top of the press easily.

funkibeads

Have been saving up Morrisons "food fusions" seasonings tins for xyz for a while now - and suddenly realised what wonderful storage containers they make for frits, shorties, etc etc etc. They are 8x8x4 cm with a clear plexiglass window in the lid. Soak them in warm water + fairy liquid for 3 hours - perfect to get those dratted labels off.

And the seasonings are really rather good - poultry, fish, steak etc - it's like a fritty spice blend - ready made. So fun in the flame and the kitchen - what could be better ? I think Sainsburys do similar tins too...

Also make your own frit too - heat up a shortie in a pair of pliers, drop it in a can of cold water. Phhht zzz phah. Then sieve through a Melitta coffee filter or similar. Then dry in the airing cupboard. Use up your shorties that way. (Not my original idea - but it goes with the above  ;)).

Keep the ideas coming - superb stuff  ::) Greg

lemon kitten

I buy the pill dispensers from Wilco.  There are 7 small rectangular pots joined together in a strip, with the day of the week on the lid which is hinged with plasic, and put my frits in them.  I just label the lid so I know what frit is what.  They cost 75p for a strip of 7.  How's that!  :D

Janey
Never stand up in a canoe!

ARBeads

We've drilled the lids of 3 jam jars with lots of holes to make small, medium and large frit sieves.
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Pat from Canvey

I had a wander round my local camping and caravanning store while waiting for the garage to fit a new fuse box for my car. Saw plastic top lids for photo film canisters which can be used for enamels. Their advertised use is as make do salt and pepper shakers.

Winny

My lamp is screwed to the top of an old PC table which being metal is ideal, has a handy shelf for tools that are not often used but sometimes needed, mandrels are stood up in cut off water bottles with clean cat litter, I use little pickle bowls for frit 8 for £1 at pound land, have also hear of some one using cheap metal disposable ash trays for this to,I store bit and bobs in tic tac boxes, my rods are in many glass jars. If you glass engrave talk to the dentist as I often get bits from mine. Best yet my workshop is a recycled caravan, needs to much wielding to go on the road but is great for the use it has now, ventilation is lots of windows plus PC fans,work off solar panel/van voltage to,the area I use to work in is like its own barley box being the loo area minus the door and part of the wall but still not wholly part of the Van.Light box is home made and I could go one but I get creative as money is short,freecycle is ace, we just got a garden path by re homing concrete blocks