Main Menu

Multicolour??!!

Started by Amber, February 28, 2010, 05:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber

I was so excited to get this glass, but it just doesn't like me... :'(

I am striking it...and I've tried cooling it quickly by marvering it...but the best I can get out of it is a sea foam colour - very much like cim celadon. Pretty, but not what I was after.  :(

What am I doing wrong???  ???

turnedlight

I haven't got far with it either, but try it over different base colours, and try working it for a long time heating, cooling, raking etc (that's what I usually do with the strikers..)
kathryn

helbels

I had great success on my first go with it, but since then I've not been able to get it to do much.  All I know is that i had good results using a graphite marver, but not so much using a brass press....

♥♥Tan♥♥

Get on your knees and utter your prayers to the glass gods, they may hear ;)

Amber

QuoteGet on your knees and utter your prayers to the glass gods, they may hear

It's a full moon tonight, maybe I should try making some beads now!  :D

Hamilton Taylor

Is it 104, or 96 you're having trouble with?

Sean

Amber

sparrow

Amber, that glass wants to be roses. I can only imagine that this has to do with how they are made, so:

- heat to gloop
- squish with metal
- re-heat

....then strike repeatedly (by definition, each rose goes in and out of the flame at least 8 times, then each petal gets heated again, individually, to get crinkled.

I was totally surprised when I got this without much effort on my part:

...so I assume, for other beads, it means in-out-in-out, etc....over & over!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

helenfc

beautiful sabine! :)
i managed to get a sky blue/ bronzy colour once and that was with the end of stringer i had pulled by grabbing it with cold pliers. happy accident!

garishglobes

Wow, Sabine! :o

This glass sounds a bit like some boro glasses which just love doing sculptural stuff. They like an initial heat and then to be cooled, reheated, cooled and reheated - which would happen if you were doing anything sculptural like roses, or a goddess. The thing about making beads is that you often want to get the thing done quicker than that, and don't heat/cool/reheat so much.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Quote from: Spookyjewel on February 28, 2010, 06:16:08 PM
QuoteGet on your knees and utter your prayers to the glass gods, they may hear

It's a full moon tonight, maybe I should try making some beads now!  :D

QUICK QUICK QQUIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!!!!! :D :D

SueP

Hi
I have found this easy to work don't know how to link to another post so here are a couple of pics of my first test bead light and dark Multi colour over ivory

I heated it so that it was very hot - pressed then cooled and waved around until I had that yellowy green colour.  Then back in the flame just to get  rid of the chill marks - it goes quite dark. then straight in the kiln

sea-thistle

Gosh they are all beautiful beads. I think I'll have to get my multi colour out to play with!!  :)

Shirley

I love multicolour. Considering the price it is great vallue for money compared to most silver glass and it gives pretty consistent results. I find it really likes being coaxed - lots of warming to a dull glow rather than heating it lots each time.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

hollergrafik

Heat the bejesus out of it then use a press or brass marver.