Turning down torch.....

Started by limetree, February 25, 2010, 08:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limetree

Hi,

Some thoughts please.....
Do you think it's ok to turn down your torch when doing stringer work?
I was watching a tutorial on You Tube and she suggested turning the torch down. I read somewhere that it was bad for the torch.
I have a bobcat and in the normal neutral flame I'm not having much luck with stringers as the flame just seems too hot  :'(.

Oh and another quick question, is it ok to light a torch with a lighter?

Thanks!! 

Shirley

Yes, I use a bobcat and turn it down.

Went on a course a while back with Dora Schubert and she recommends turning down the torch for stringer work.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

♥♥Tan♥♥

I have had the same torches for years and turn them up and down when I need to with no ill effects at all so I shouldn't worry.

Not sure about the lighter thing, you are holding a little bomb in your hand if it decides to go up, I use one of those spark lighters but I suspect there are peeps on here who have always used lighters and never had a problem

Dee Dee

I was using matches for a long while, but went through so many of them!  I now use a long bbq/candle lighter, haven't had any problems!

Veebee

I use an electric lighter to light mine all the time, no worries. The electric lighters you get for gas cookers are safer though.
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

julieHB

I have a Bobcat as well, and about a year ago I was also wondering whether I could ruin the torch if I turned the flame down. So, I contacted  GTT, and here's what they said:

"Hello Julie,

What you have heard is not true.  You can run many flame types as long
as you watch for any sign of the flame overheating the torch.  You need
to watch for any specs or tubes starting to glow, this indicates that
the torch is overheating or carbon is starting to buildup.  Nothing on
the face of the torch should ever glow.  The only flame type that will
cause carbon or glowing is a short soft flame.  If you want to run a
soft flame the candles in the flame must be kept at 3/8" or longer, this
will insure that there is no carbon or overheating.  If you want to use
a smaller flame, back the fuel down and adjust the flame with the oxy
valve.  Our Bobcats can get a good small flame by adjusting the fuel and
oxy down, just watch for carbon or glowing and adjust accordingly."

So, basically, turn the propane right down if you want a small pinpoint flame!! Then just adjust the oxygen, but make sure the flame is not reducing when small - if it is for a long time you can overheat the torch!

The Bobcat wasn't designed for oxycons, but for bottled oxygen, and it is very easy to run a slightly reducing flame all the time. When my flame is neutral I can hardly see any yellow on the "fingers" (argh, I always forget what they're called) at all. Try putting some aurae or triton glass in the flame - if it goes metallic you are using too much propane. This is very different from the Minor, where you clearly see yellow tips when the flame is neutral.

HTH! :-)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

llewennog

I use a relevant flame for whatever type of work Im doing at the time, its always a good idea to try to keep the flame slightly oxydising as that way you wont be potentially damaging yoru ports althrough if your using a minor its not going to be an issue as the are basically holes drilled in a lump of steel

limetree

Thanks for all your replies.  :)
Julie, thanks for info on the neutral flame and bobcat. I think I have too much yellow on the tips with my neutral flame. Will try your tip!!!