How many CZ's

Started by Ilona, February 24, 2010, 10:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilona

I am wanting to use some CZ's in my beads and I know I am ok using just the one. What I am wondering is how many could I use in a focal without it cracking.

Any thoughts?

astringofbeads

Depends on the size of your cz's if they're big then maybe one or 2  more if smaller. I can get up to 4 1.5mm  ( encased) ones on a 14mm dia silver core, but you do need to keep them hot and the area around them too, that way you shouldn't get any cracks. I tend to spot encase mine right after I put them on to avoid any nasty surprises later ;)
hope this helps

Ilona

The ones I have are 2mm, could I get away with 3 in a bead?

Trudi

I've made a big hole bead with 6 in - 1.7mm ones. I have had the odd one crack  (the cz, not the bead) so I'm thinking that I didn't have enough glass covering.

Am I right in thinking that they either need to be left un-encased (well set) or covered with a reasonable size blob of glass!

astringofbeads

I don't see why not Ilona, but it does depend on the size of your finished bead, the main thing though is that it's really important to keep them hot while you're setting and/or encasing. Cracks are usually caused if they are not set properly more than whether encased or not. Too deep and the bead might crack when you ream out the bead release ( have had that happen before!!) if they're not far enough in then they could pop off or opossibly cause thermal cracks. I always set mine in then pop a tiny blob of clear over the top before encasing fully, I don't like to leave them on the surface. If the bead gets too cool and then you attempt to reheat it the cz's can shatter within.

Hels4444

Good luck I always seem to ping my everywhere rather than in the bead!! ::)