What clear to use with Diachroic and molds with paper?

Started by Evadark, April 10, 2007, 07:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evadark

I am planning to order some more diachroic but want some extra black and clear glass to fuse it onto. Other than making sure it is Co90, is there something I should look for to make sure I am ordering the right thing? Have been looking at a suppliers web sight and they dont list the black and clear with the diachroic group so bit unsure if what I am looking at under Bullseye 3mm is the right product.

Also, if you get a very simple mold can can you ever use fusing paper? Or do you always have to use wash? Saw a very plain mold that looks like you should in theory be able to just put a piece of fusing paper over but maybe i am confused.

Marie

Sarah

Hi Marie

As long as both the dichroic & the clear/black are COE 90 you shouldn't have a problem. Bullseye will be COE 90 - I use both 1.6mm & 3mm - so you just need to make sure that your dichroic is COE 90 too. I'm not sure which site you're looking at - I use Warm Glass & they are easy to navigate & let you know what is & isn't compatible. They are also really helpful by 'phone if you want to check that all is OK before buying.

I've only slumped with kilnwash - you may be able to use paper in a simple mode but I don't think you'll get a good finish on the outside. And kilnwash is cheaper than paper in the long run ('though more hassle).  Maybe some of the more experienced fusers (Pam, Steph, Jim where are you??) can help?

beady-kat

Just as a third option I use something called seperation powder. You just sift it onto your moulds and nothing sticks, then you sweep it up and use it again. It gives you a slightly mottled texture.
Kath

BlueMoon

Marie...I'd be a little leery of slumping onto thin fire paper. It turns to ash well before the glass starts to slump so it will fall into the mold and may not completely cover the bottom of the mold. The sparation powder sounds interesting that Kath is talking about. I would imagine it is just glass separator (kiln wash) Is that correct Kath? I've used it in the past to cover an area on a mold where some of the kiln wash pulled up in a previous firing.
As for the clear and black...I just use Bullseye thin and standard thickness ...90COE.
I use Bullseye Crystal Clear if I am using it with silver clay.

Kilns, Torches, Tools & Supplies for Lampworking and Fusing

beady-kat

I don't know actually Jim if it's just straight forward kiln wash used as a powder rather than mixed. I buy it as 'seperation powder.' Next time i'm talking to the supplier I'll ask if there's a difference.
You can get some really good effects from it by sifting on a layer and then scribing into it or sifting through a patterned mesh.
It might be worth dusting on some kiln wash just as a tester.
Kath

Evadark