Off Centre Lentil Press

Started by Yellow friend, January 25, 2010, 05:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellow friend

Maybe I should have put this in the newbie section as I my expereince in using presses is limited. However, now that I've finally bitten the bullet and bought a lentil press (little realising that I'd ordered an off centre version) my fault but I can see the advantages. Has anyone had any experience with these?  Hints and tips would be useful.   :D  Want to play but do not want to waste too much glass.
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

Helen G

I find this one a bit more tricky than the regular lentil press. What I do is make a rugby ball shaped bead just a mm shy of each end of the lentil shape. then I let it droop down a little so there is more glass on one side than the other, then press.

If anyone else has a better way I would be interested to hear because this way is not always that successful.

Hope that helps you yellow friend!

Barbara

I do it the same way like Helen! It is a little bit tricky to use with designs but after a little practice no problem!

Yellow friend

Thanks Helen & Barbara, I thought it might involve something like that.  I had a go a couple of times, the shape wasn't too bad but they looked more like axe heads than lentils  :D  I think I might need to add a bit more glass.  The press is for 28 & 32 mm lentils - didn't realise quite how much glass they take!

Shelia

Barbara

Oh, that's really big to begin. I got an 32 mm off centered lentil too. I like to do the base bead smaller than the finished size of the bead, nice shaped with the press. And then I finally decorate the bead. The base size depend on the design you want to do. May be 2 -3 mm smaller, maybe just less or more. Just for the base you need nearly a third rod!

Yellow friend

It did seem to take ages to get enough glass melted - I think my little bobcat was a bit off colour last night (sometimes doesn't seem to heat the glass as quickly) my propane bottle is outside, so it might have been a bit cold? My white rods are also a bit skinny.  Hey ho!  I think I'll have to keep practicing.

Thanks Barbara

Shelia

Helen G

try taping 2 or even 3 rods together to melt more glass faster  ;)

Yellow friend