Making bubbles

Started by ★★Terri★★, January 10, 2010, 01:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

★★Terri★★

I hope someone can point me in the right direction please.

I tried making bubble between some layers of bullseye but nothing happened.  I tried using baking powder mixed into water and painted onto the surfaces that touched and put the textured sides together.  I fired to 740 centrigrade.

Did I fire to a too low temp?
Would it be better to use the baking powder dry?
If I can make this work can I them colour the bubbles?
Would it be better to use bubble powder?
What is bubble powder made of?

If I refire the ones that didn't work to a higher temp would it still be possible to get some bubbles?

Is there are tried and tested straight forward way of getting bubbles?

Many thanks

Terri x

bluefairy

I generally sift on dry bicarbonate of soda, and have mixed it with powdered frit in the past for colour.  Not sure about temperature, but tbh I've only done it in a full fuse, which in my kiln is about 785C, which is a lot lower than most kilns which usually have a full fuse somewhere around 800, so maybe 740 was too low.
Be cautious with sifting on dry bicarb though, it doesn't take much!!  Sorry I can't be of more help  :-\
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

★★Terri★★

Hi Helen

Thank you for such a quick response - perhaps I should use bi-carb and not baking powder.  Thought it might work as it's got bi-carb in it.

Will try mixing some fine frit with bi-carb and see what happens.

Terri x

Redhotsal

Quote from: Terri on January 10, 2010, 01:36:04 PM
Hi Helen

perhaps I should use bi-carb and not baking powder.  Thought it might work as it's got bi-carb in it.

Terri x

Yep - that's definitely the case for beadmaking. I couldn't get the Baking Powder to work either. Be warned though - after a couple of unsuccessful attempts at Baking Powder I went overboard with the Bicarb and the damn bead looked as if it had Rabies. You only need a very small amount !  ;)

♥♥Tan♥♥

snigger snigger .....rabies....snigger snigger :D

★★Terri★★

LOL -  thanks for the warning Sal - last thing I need is rabid beads!!!!

Terri x

Dragonvine

I thought Bicarb and baking power were the same thing 0.o

Flyingcheesetoastie

I dunno if it would work in the kiln or with beads but when I learnt to make paperweights in the hotshop we mixed our bicarb in water to dilute it then quenched the glass in the water before gathering over it again.  It produced very even bubble size and coverage over the first gather.

★★Terri★★

Quote from: Dragonvine on January 12, 2010, 12:31:24 AM
I thought Bicarb and baking power were the same thing 0.o

Baking powder contains bi carb in the mixture.  Casting my mind back to school and 'domestic science' I think we used to make our own my mixing bi carb with cream of tartare or something similar.  Not sure what that is tho.

Snow is thawing (slowly) so will be heading out to the shed in the next day or two with my pot of bi carb.

Terri x

Zeldazog

Quote from: Redhotsal on January 10, 2010, 02:42:25 PM

Yep - that's definitely the case for beadmaking. I couldn't get the Baking Powder to work either. Be warned though - after a couple of unsuccessful attempts at Baking Powder I went overboard with the Bicarb and the damn bead looked as if it had Rabies. You only need a very small amount !  ;)

Oh, Sal, you just made me laugh out loud at that!

★★Terri★★

Have posted a picture of some successful bubble making - thanks for the tips and advice.