Etching solution

Started by kerensky, January 09, 2010, 10:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerensky

Hi Peeps,

Can anyone tell me what colour Etching solution should be? I have a large bottle that I bought a few months ago, I have not used it for a while and when I opened it last night it was a murky brown tea colour, it seemed to do the job ok, but if my memory serves me correctly I thought that this solution was clear "originally".

I am storing it in my utility room at room temperature, mainly due to the instructions on the bottle of min and max temps, in theory -  to keep it happy. I paid quite a lot for this bottle of solution, do you think that I should throw it out, or is this normal? I have only used it once before - to test it effects on some beads earlier this year.

Is it still ok to use - or will it ruin my beads ?

Thanks in advance

Kerensky

sublimekate

Don't throw it away!!!!

Mine went brown after a while too, in fact it's a dreadful dark dingy colour now, but it still works and I've had it for over a year.

I read a thread about this ages ago and I'm sure it's fine, I don't know why it does it though  ???

Kate xx

tuffnell glass

hi,

yes it s fine to keep using , normally i only notice the colour changing after i have used it a bit but it will not affect your beads at all.........except for ecthing them that is .

Martin

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

kerensky

Thanks Kate,

Got to say- I thought "eeewwww" when I saw it last night, and then "oh no", cos it was so darn expensive.....I was showing one of my pals how to etch a bead and the effects you can get with it, it did look rather revolting....:-0

cheers

Kerensky

Lloki

As has been said - not a problem!
It does look pretty "yucky" though and can, when it's VERY old, take longer to take effect.
I call it, it's "old age cola stage" ;D
Cerrix
Cerri

Amber

Mine's the same and the only thing I'd say about it is that you have to rinse light coloured beads more thoroughly, as they can go a bit brown-ish  :P