flashback arrester (I think causing big problems)

Started by hot to trot, December 18, 2009, 07:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hot to trot

Hi you knowledgable lot. My regulator, the bit that is attatched to the gas bottle will not let gas through. I thought I had run out of gas so drove through icy streets to change the bottle only to find that I still cannot get any gas out. When I start, if the regulator has been inside, the gas comes through fine, if I then stop for a break and disconnect it then I cannot get any gas in the pipe. It must be from the regulator as the quick release valve does not even hiss when you disconnect it.
The bottle is outside and, of course, it is very cold. Has anyone else had any problems like this.
Really hope someone can help. I have been looking forward to my torch time for ages.

Thanks Jill

Redkite

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble. I know nothing about the "plummbing" side of things and was about to suggest you phone Martin Tuffnell, but then I remembered they closed for Christmas this afternoon.

Sorry - hope someone else will have a better idea than me!

Mary

Could you have water in your regulator that is freezing? My regulator gets cold, but I keep it covered from the rain.

Ian R Pearson

Are we talking Propane or oxygen? The title of thread concerns flashback arrester but content is about regulators. Two different items of kit. I am confused. Depends on type but some flashback arrestors have a lever at top which should be in down position. If not no gas. Press down and gas flows OK.

Ian

hot to trot

Thanks to those who answered, sorry I confused Ian. I get that a lot, even confused myself sometimes. I had a last try at sorting it out myself and put a little washing up liquid (a very little) to lubricate my quick release valve and it worked, I have gas. Thank goodness.

Thanks for you help
Jill