A couple of questions re:hammers & attaching clasps

Started by Jessamine, December 23, 2009, 03:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessamine

I'm planning to purchase a hammer suitable for hardening soft stirling silver wire (the wire I currently have is 1.3mm). I've been doing some research and I've seen it written that rubber hammers, rawhide hammers, and small normal hammers can be used-so now I'm a bit confused over what type to purchase. Seeing as you lot are all knowledgable when it comes to these things I'm asking in your experience what type would you recommend? And is their a UK seller you recomend?

Second question, when attaching a belcher chain (chain is 3.5mm in diameter) to a toggle clasp, is a 5mm sterling silver heavyweight jump ring suficient? It looks and feels pretty sturdy to me, but I'm doubting myself because I don't normally work with chain, so this is a learning process for me.

Thank you in advance for any help, and Merry Christmas  :D

turnedlight

As for the hammer, I'd go for a hide one - I bought my kit a while back from Cooksons though there may be cheaper places, but their quality is good.
With the chain, if the jump ring is thicker than the chain itself it should be fine. If you think the ring is soft enough to pull open if it gets tugged then maybe not, but I would have thought a heavyweight one sturdy enough.
kathryn

mizgeorge

You don't actually need a hammer at all to harden sterling wire - the most efficient way is to grab each end of a length of wire in a pair of pliers and twist firmly through 180 degrees and then back again - do this a few times and the wire will be much, much harder. Hammering only really affects the outside of the wire (especially if it's thick), but twisting gets through the whole thickness. It's an especially useful technique for things like ear wires btw!

If you've got a long length, put one end in a vice and twist the other whilst pulling back to maintain tension and stop it from spiralling.

As for the jump ring question, if the 5mm is the outer diameter, then that should be fine!

Jessamine

Hi Kathryn, thanks for the advice, I've just had a look on Cookson's website and they seem pretty reasonable compared to some of the others I've seen  ;D I may have to invest some Christmas money in one!

Thanks George :D I can probably get away with the twisting technique for most of it (and I'm going to have to try it with earing wires too now you've said it :D) , I just want to harden some curls and was hoping to shape them whilst soft and then harden them up a bit with a hammer to make sure they keep their shape.

And cheers to both of you for the feedback about jump rings, I measured to double check and the outer diameter is definitely 5mm so all is well  ;D Just need some time now so I can get amakin'!

mizgeorge

If you're making curls, then they do often look better if you forge them a little - which is best done with an ordinary ball pein hammer - a household one will do fine as long as you polish any nicks out of the face (as they can transfer to the metal). Rawhide is designed not to mark the metal, but is increasingly being replaced by nylon faced hammers and mallets, which have replaceable heads and are just as gentle.

Galloway Beads

Thats a super tip George - I think I'll try that for some earing wires for myself (longer ones) over the hols.
I have some silver wire but not used it yet as I wasnt sure what to do ::). Thanks.  ;D
x
Elaine

www.gallowaybeads.co.uk
My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/Gallowaybeads

Amber

Galloway Beads

Put me down for a copy please George. lol  ;D

x
Elaine

www.gallowaybeads.co.uk
My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/Gallowaybeads

polynana

great tip there George, thank you, and I'll have a copy of that book too  ;)
Nan xxx

www.polynana.co.uk
www.treasurecraft.co.uk

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Jessamine

;D I'd certainly buy a copy! Thanks George  :D Can't wait for some spare time so I can take advantage of your advice and get making!