Which kiln to buy?

Started by jo.rhodes, December 03, 2009, 07:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jo.rhodes

Hi guys!

I'm looking to upgrading my bead-making things.  I'm hoping to upgrade to bulk propane and getting a kiln.  Now, I'm looking at two possible kilns on lovely, lovely ebay, and I would like to know which one people would recommend:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250539917518&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1686wt_1167

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180411893324&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4167wt_941

Obviously there's a massive difference in price, but I'm wondering if there's a reason for this!

Thanks,

Jo

turnedlight

Hmm.. the photos of the first one show an exposed element.. I don't know much but I had thought this was not a great idea, hopefully a kiln expert will help. I am a believer in 'you get what you pay for' and it is suspiciously cheap.. :-\
kathryn

Zeldazog

Can't see a huge difference between the kilns, they both say they have digital controllers, but a controller and programmer are two different things. 

For fifty quid more than the second one, you can get a Bead Cube from Kilncare with a PROPER digital controller with ramps and segments.

Take a look through all the threads on the forum, there is absolutely tons of information about the different types of kilns, controllers, sizes, in fact anything you could need to know.

Zeldazog

Quote from: turnedlight on December 03, 2009, 08:41:14 PM
Hmm.. the photos of the first one show an exposed element.. I don't know much but I had thought this was not a great idea, hopefully a kiln expert will help. I am a believer in 'you get what you pay for' and it is suspiciously cheap.. :-\

Blimey, didn't notice that!

Lets see, beads on mandrels, and they put exposed elements at the back.....

Oh, and the second one says this, which reads as utter carp, unless I am misunderstanding what it says:

"The controller, thermostatically regulates the power that is supplied to the kiln, giving precise control of the firing temperature across the desired jewellers range.  An added feature of with this type of controller versus a digitally controlled machine, is that it is designed to bring the kiln up to its desired temperature slowly.  This involves automatically switching the supplied power on/off throughout its cycle which greatly enhances the life expectancy of the kiln".

What, so when I tell my digital controller to heat up at 166 degrees per hour, it ignores me and goes as fast as possible, without stopping does it?  I KNOW it switches on and off, cos you can hear the buzz!

Is it me, have I just misunderstood what they say?

jo.rhodes

Oh dear :( I shall look at the thread, and look into that Bead Cube kiln you mentioned!

helbels

Jo

I'm a newbie bead maker (only been at it 8 weeks) and I bought the beadcube and can HIGHLY recommend it.  It's a great little kiln, does the job really well, and most importantly is idiotproof to operate.

Helen

Lee - Kilncare

As you may well be aware, I do have a bit of a thing about kilns and safety.
That aside and acknowledging that you lot are sensible people I would just say that obvious caution should be taken when using the first one.
The interesting point and it is a point I have made before. The kiln has a CE marking on the back,,,,,that say volumes about the validity of the CE mark when it comes to kilns.

The second chap is effectively a Bead Cube style kiln but with blind, semi manual control. It will not give you your temperature and does not know what the temperature is. It simply turns the kiln on less or more often depending on the position you turn the dial too. It doesn't even have a thermocouple!
It will not stop you overfiring the kiln if you leave it full on.
How do I know....because we also sell this controller with our EFCO kilns.

"The controller, thermostatically regulates the power that is supplied to the kiln, giving precise control of the firing temperature across the desired jewellers range.  An added feature of with this type of controller versus a digitally controlled machine, is that it is designed to bring the kiln up to its desired temperature slowly.  This involves automatically switching the supplied power on/off throughout its cycle which greatly enhances the life expectancy of the kiln".
No you haven't misunderstood...it is just absolute twoddle.

I can do you a Bead Cube with that control on at a better price but it really isn't a good proposition for someone who wants to accurately anneal their beads.

And glad you like your Bead Cube Helen ;D

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

helbels

I LOVE it Lee - it's called Colin  ;D and he is gorgeous!

llewennog

Good info there!

I'd buy neither of those kilns and spend the extra £40 and buy a beadcube, least your getting a good digi controller and its British which keeps our economy alive!

Now why arent there any British torch companys!!!

Nikki

I love my bead cube!!!!

So easy to use and very compact if you have limited space. Don't forget the friendly helpful service you get from Kilncare. It may cost a little more but worth every penny.

Nikki ;D

theflyingbedstead

I would also opt for the Beadcube.  I bought an SC2 as I wasn't sure if the beadcube would be big enough for me, but knowing how I work now, the Beadcube would have been a better choice as it can hold plenty of beads and is fantastic for pre-warming murrini.
Charlotte x

Ian Pearson

Used to be a number of British companies making burners for lampworking, W S A Engineering of London, Quadrant, again from London. I used to work for a company, Jencons, that made bench burners, Rotajets, and still use that. Heathways also made burners. All have moved on to other things as UK market was, ( at that time), to small to make a profit.

Ian

Sulis (Hazel)

I have to butt in here just to say that Kilncare kilns are great and that the service is fab. Highly recommended. I have a MAXIne and I love her!!

The little Uhlig kilns, in my humble experience, (I have one which I bought a few years back) are great for small test pieces for fusing and I know lots of people use them for enamelling. Mine doesn't heat particularly evenly though and cools down on it's own too rapidly to allow for sucessful annealing. You'd have to babysit it carefully, which gets to be a complete pain in the whatsit after a while.

Good luck with your choice  :)

Hazel xx
Hazel x

Zeldazog

Quote from: Lee - Kilncare on December 04, 2009, 01:11:21 PM
No you haven't misunderstood...it is just absolute twoddle.

Thanks Lee!  I wondered if I had momentarily lost the plot about how kilns work....

Lee - Kilncare

No mate, as I have said before, your knowledge of kilns is top draw IMO.
The statement is at best, very misleading indeed.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732