butane question from Congo

Started by Felicity, November 26, 2009, 03:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felicity

Dear all

I have been a lurker (who moves around the world a lot) and I'm incredibly indebted to those of you who post more frequently.

Can anyone help with some questions about having to substitute butane for a Nortel Minor torch setup?  I arrived to work in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, a few months back, have just managed to set up my studio and was encouraged by seeing the normal propane BBQ bottles around - which my regulator fits fine.  Now I am told there is no propane here and the bottles are actually filled with butane.  I know some of you do use butane + oxygen but am wondering about the lower pressure that butane is stored at.

Before I pay US$130 for the bottle, can anyone advise me on whether my regulator will actually deliver 4 or 5 psi?  The butane nozzle on the BBQ bottle I have seen, says it delivers a very low pressure, but maybe that's just the nozzle thingy. 

Will I in fact need to import a different torch and/or a different regulator?

(and now I will annoy you by saying that it's too hot here at the moment......  How's November at home in Scotland?)

Fritty Felicity

glassworks

LOL.. the use of butane should be okay, but i know that there are different chemicals in there that "MAY" result in a slightly dirtier flame than propane.. the regulator you have, if it fits the bottle, should deliver the correct pressure regardless of the bottle pressure..

ask the supplier if you can hook one up to test?..

??? 8)

jammie

November in Scotland....... grey dismal rainy driech cauld baltic , probably much as when you left!  ;D

Felicity

Wow, that was fast help!!!  Is this a record per mile?

Hi Quinton - we met in Belgium at Sarah's first class - told you I moved around.  Thanks for the advice - I'll be taking the British Embassy BBQ cylinder home for a tryout.  Fingers crossed.

And Jammie, not dreer as well then?  That's good!  I'll be checking the Scottish weather out in February - just when everybody is verging on the suicidal and will hate me for my suntan.

I'll report back on the butane......

glassworks

WITH pictures!!!!.. how about a whole series of beads inspired by african trade beads (the venetian trade beads made from ground murrini tubes).. rarer than rockinghorse poo but well worth hunting down!!...

and, when do we see you back here in belgium anyway!...

;)

Felicity

I think that could be a tall order!  Do you mean the chevron beads? - like here: http://www.smith.edu/artmuseum/exhibitions/africanbeadedart/brown_necklaces.htm

What do folk think of the bit there about how they were made?  It doesn't sound right to me.  I also thought you needed lapidary equipment to grind the facets.

At the moment, I'm looking for inspiration from weird tropical flowers and lizards.  There's a lizard that is shaded deep purple through orange and lemon!

No doubt I'll be passing though Brussels on my way to and from the Congo.  When is Glassworks having your next amazing glassfest?  I'd try to get back for that...... ;D

Hamilton Taylor

Technique seems sound, but missing the 'grinding & polishing through layers to reveal the pattern' bit.
At least I assume that's how it's done.

Sean

glassworks

those are the ones.... there are also much finer versions, but much rarer.. i had a look at luigi's collection in murano, and there are some really stunning ones out there..

being based in the congo means you will opportunities to hunt them down, there are EXTREMELY collectible, so beware "copies" made from refired ground glass that are more "distressed" looking for the tourists..

8)

happy hunting!.. how did you end up out in the congo this time anyway?..... ;-)

Felicity

When/if I find some trade beads here, I'll start a new thread to show them off .......  I suspect anything worth selling is long gone (to other parts of Africa maybe) as people really need to struggle to make a living. 

No tourists and not much shopping (although the dried caterpillars are inviting!) until the fighting stops and things improve for more people here.  My job is to see what we (UK) can do to help in health and education.  Hoping to get a blog started, as soon as I can get out and about a bit more.

Your advice was good!  I got the butane set up this evening and it works OK, but I'll have to get used to it.  The flame seems narrow and possibly hotter.  The mix seems to fluctuate too - the oxy concentrator is on a voltage regulator though, so not sure yet what's happening.  I pulled lots of stringers and twisties to get my hand in again.  Beads tomorrow, weehee!