Best clear glass.....

Started by Glamglass, November 15, 2009, 03:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glamglass

Ok no good.
I have tried again at a slightly lower temperature and longer soak and still no good the edges are spiking up. Does that mean I need a lower temp?

If anyone can help I would be really grateful.

Zeldazog

Spiking up can often be caused by too thin a layer of glass - how thick is your glass?

dinah46

850C is rather hot for Artista and that could make it spike on the edges. I never take even float above 840C and generally it's more like 813C.
Try it at around 810C for 25 mins.  It obviously depends on your kiln though

Are you using a freshly kilnwashed shelf? Sometimes it can stick a bit if you've fired it a few times. You could also try it on kiln paper as that would give a good finish.

Glamglass

I bought a mixture of 3mm, 4mm and 6mm to try out and doubled the 3mm and put single pieces of 4mm and 6mm. At my normal bullseye schedule, it come out just looking tac fused, going hotter was only slightly more rounded and then I went too hot and it spiked. I after a nice rounded edge really and I am struggling to get the balance right!!

I will try the lower temperature and longer soak again!

Glamglass

Is there anyone here who can do me some 2cm Square clear glass cabs as a favour until I get this firing schedule sorted out?
I need 20 in total.

Glamglass

Ok the last firing was getting close, slightly rounder, but still some corner spiking. Any suggestions? A lower temp and longer soak??

Hotglass28

I can help. What do you need?  If its straight clear nice rounded edges but still keeping the square then I can do some for you this weekend.

PM and I will pick it up today or tomorrow.  I may have some crystal clear bullseye somewhere. Ill have a look, but I reckon standard 3mm would be ok.

Is there a 100% need for total bubble free for the squares? I normally have bubble free glass when I fuse.

Actually Ill send my phone number via PM if you want a chat.
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Glamglass

Ok the saga goes on!! I found some info and and fused at 900C and although not perfect, it is very nearly there!!!

I can't believe it needed to get soo hot!

I have a tweaked firing in now and will let you know later!! ::)

Glamglass

well the 6mm was fab!! But I only bought a bit of that!! The 3mm was doubled and it had devitrification on the top!!

Another batch in again now and keeping all crossed that it comes up trumps and works!