Fusing with copper

Started by Sarah999, November 12, 2009, 03:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah999

Hi.

I have slumped a few glass bottles in my kiln, and have had great results. I have also cut and hammered some copper hearts that I want to go on the neck. I am trying to include a copper heart in all my designs as my signiture. Is it ok to glue this to the bottle using something like E600? Or should I do a tack fuse and hope it fused in to the bottle? I am not sure how to stick it on! 

xxx

Trudi

I guess you could try a dab of elmers glue - that should burn away in the kiln.

theflyingbedstead

I have used good old PVA to keep my murrini bundles together whilst they are heated up in a kiln and then pulled in the furnace.  I couldn't see any residue remaining, so you could try a test wth this to see how it works!
Charlotte x

Sarah999

I was more thinking can I use E6000 to glue it there forever with out refusing. Or if I do a tack fuse will the copper actually fuse in to the glass? Or will it just sit on top and not fuse?

Zeldazog

Quote from: Sarah999 on November 12, 2009, 04:43:01 PM
I was more thinking can I use E6000 to glue it there forever with out refusing. Or if I do a tack fuse will the copper actually fuse in to the glass? Or will it just sit on top and not fuse?

When you use copper foil as an inclusion, it doesn't actually fuse to the glass, it simply gets sandwiched between the two layers with the glass around it fusing together to keep it in (Does this make sense??)

If any parts of copper are exposed, they don't actually fuse to the glass, even if the rest of the copper is covered.  So if you try and place copper on top, you won't achieve anything, apart from some burnt looking copper foil sitting on top which will move.

But I don't see why you couldn't glue it on, no problem

Sarah999

Thanks Dawn! Thats what I was wondering. Best buy me some glue!!!