Oxycon Problems with the hose connection

Started by Chameleon, November 12, 2009, 01:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chameleon

I need help please, has anyone else got one of the oxycons that have the green adapters that go between the air outlet and the air hose ? If so please can you tell me how you have it set up, I have two different ones on my oxycons and I am having huge problems with them leaking LOTS of air. I thought I had got it sorted with some ptfe tape (least i think thats what its called) but its hissing like mad from where the nozzle comes out of the bit that screws on (hopefully that description will make sense to anyone who has one of these !!) and its now got beyond a joke

any help HUGELY appriciated, im getting desperate !!

mizgeorge

I seem to recall being told NOT to use ptfe tape with oxygen (something to do with silicone?) so I just used a wrap of regular electrical tape and it worked fine. Took a couple of goes to get it right though.

theflyingbedstead

I was sent a black connector as well as a green one.  Ben soaked the end of the clear hose in very hot water to make it more pliable and then it fitted over all of the ridges of the black connector without any problems; as it cooled down, the tubing shrank so that the fit is nicely snug, with no leaks.  There was also a jubilee clip included, which I think is supposed to go over the hose at the join, but this isn't even needed. 
Charlotte x

glassworks

the oxy is at VERY low pressure - shouldn't be hissing out at all...

try the hot water trick to soften the tube before you slide it onto the green bit... then use a jubilee clip it you have to?.. let me know how you get on?..
;)

llewennog

The mug of hot water does the trick for me everytime, but remember to dry the hose off before you try to push it on,, you dont want water in your oxy line moving into your torch. I dont know if this is dangerous or not?

Ian Pearson

Hair dryer works and keeps hose dry but supple.

Ian

glassworks

water in the hose is not a train smash.... high pressure oxygen, ie tanked oxygen - should be treated with HUGE respect regarding connections etc... the joints on an oxycon however are very low pressure, and although leaks are still not good news, much less serious..

8)

Lyn G

Becky, I had a similar problem with mine quite a while ago.....except I actually snapped the connector off when I was moving the oxycon!  What I did what superglue the broken half back on and then wrapped parcel tape round and round and it seems to have done the trick.  Sounds like you might just need to do the jubilee clip up really tightly......no air should escape when it's as tight as you can get it.

Good luck!

Lush!

Hmm, how odd.  I don't use any tape or clips - my hose just pushes on and off really easily.  I do have a bit of an oxygen leak at the torch end though, but that's probably got something to with the hole in the hose caused by a bit of hot glass  :D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

theflyingbedstead

Sorry, I didn't mention drying the hose before fitting it - we did that of course!

Becky - if you're still having problems and want me to take a photo of my oxycon tonight then let me know.  BTW, is the screw-on bit (on the hose) that links the hose to the oxycon brass or plastic?  My old machine was a different model to the newer ones that Martin now supplies.  It had a brass one which did need a jubilee clip, whilst the new one has a plastic connector.  The nozzle bit clips in fully to the screw-on connector, allowing the connector to move whilst the tubing doesn't...if that makes sense! 

Mind you, if you bought your machine from another supplier, it may well have different connectors, so you'd be better trying to contact them to be on the safe side.
Charlotte x

Chameleon

thanks everyone for your replies, to clarify (hopefully) the green plastic adaptor is in two parts, one that is threaded that screws onto the outlet from the oxycon, that bit is fine no air is coming from the threaded bit. The second bit moves inside the first and has a decreasing size nozzle onto which the hose fits, the hose is securely connected and has a jubilee clip to be double sure the problem is with the connection between the two parts of the green adaptor, where they are loose all the air is leaking out with an audible hiss, i can have both oxys on and I cant get more than 4mm of candles and keep a neutral flame, the problem has been getting worse and worse basically ever since i had these new oxycons with the new outlets but it has just reached stupid point now.

I will have a go with the super glue and see how I get on  !

theflyingbedstead

I see.  I think you should ask your supplier for a couple of spare connectors, as I don't think that you should have to superglue them together.  Besides, it would make it awkward to disconnect the oxycon from the hose.

I will keep an eye on mine too - maybe this connector wears out after a while?  I disconnect my oxycon when I have finished working, so that I can move it indoors to keep it warm! 
Charlotte x

Chameleon

here is a picture that I hope helps ?!?!

air is hissing out here, i think it might be to do with the design of the connector.

Charlotte I think the disconnecting would be fine, i dont think it will affect the thread of the adaptor although I totally agree that you shouldn't have to resort to this !!

mizgeorge

I wonder if making a little washer would do the trick? You could try one made of thin card or rubber which should improve the seal at that point.

glassworks

i'll drop one of our green thingies in the post as it is not in two parts... ie the whole thing is gas tight...

please pm me your postal addy...  8) 8)