Bluebird Question

Started by BeverleyH, March 23, 2007, 09:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeverleyH

Hi folks

I see that a few people have the Bluebird.

From previous posts it's been said that the lining is different to the SC2 yet the Paragon website says that both the Bluebird and the SC2 have firing chambers made from 'high tech ceramic fibre'?  Is that not the same thing?

They don't appear to come with any shelf kits so can I ask what you put on the floor of your kiln?  (At £25 for an SC2 shelf, 3 of them is a bit much methinks!)

Cheers medears.

Bev

Mary

The SC2 is hard white stuff, not like a fibre blanket. Don't know about the bluebird. Here's a pic of my SC2. Oh, and the white square on my mandrel rack is a fibre "shelf" that came with it, the proper shelf is like a chunky ceramic tile.

BeverleyH

Hi Mary

Thanks for the reply.  I've got the SC2 so really want to know whether the Bluebird has the same lining as the SC2.  I suspect it does but people using the phrase 'fibre blanket' is confusing as my SC2 has a hard interior not fluffy like a fibre blanket (if you follow my gist!) ;)

I've also got the ceramic kiln shelf for the SC2 but they are the ones at 25 quid each so a kiln three times the width will be bloomin' expensive to 'tile'.   For some reason they don't apparently make a shelf for the Bluebird.... hey ho. :D

Mary

Sorry Beverley, didn't realise you had an SC2 too. I wouldn't be confident about it being the same, I know some annealers do have the soft fibre blanket as a lining, the fluffy stuff. Maybe you could contact the seller and ask?
If you're not fusing you wouldn't really need the same standard of shelf as you've got, would you? I've heard of unglazed terracotta floor tiles being used. The might break eventually, but it would still be cheaper!

BeverleyH

Could be Mary. It's not terribly clear, 'though the Paragon site does use the same phrase for both.  ???

Martin's on the case for me but that's an interesting thought about using an unglazed tile.... I think that's preferable to sticking your finest creations to a fluffy bottom .... so to speak - not a pleasant thought - or sight come to think of it..... :D :D :D

littlegiggles

the blue bird bottom is rough rather than fluffy.  I've never had anything stick to a bead

BeverleyH

Thanks Julie, I suspect it's exactly the same as the SC2 - a kind of rough shell - rather than fluffy fibre blanket stuff.

Bev

Mary

That would make sense, with them both being Paragon kilns. Better than a fluffy bottom!  :o

BeverleyH

:o :o :o :o :o

Definitely not what you want - certainly not in public!  ;D

Bev

BlueMoon

Quote from: BeverleyH on March 23, 2007, 09:27:08 AM
Hi folks

I see that a few people have the Bluebird.

From previous posts it's been said that the lining is different to the SC2 yet the Paragon website says that both the Bluebird and the SC2 have firing chambers made from 'high tech ceramic fibre'?  Is that not the same thing?

They don't appear to come with any shelf kits so can I ask what you put on the floor of your kiln?  (At £25 for an SC2 shelf, 3 of them is a bit much methinks!)

Cheers medears.

Bev

HI Bev....here's a litte information about the Paragon Blue Bird Kiln that you are asking about. It is lined in the bottom, sides, and back walls with spun ceramic fiber that has been coated with a ridgidize to stiffen it up a bit. The ceiling of the kiln is ceramic fiber board as well as the insides of the bead doors. I use a mandrel rack in our studio with these types of kilns so when beads are initially put into the kiln, they can rest on the rack instead of on the kiln floor, thus less likely to imprint a bead with fiberblanket that got put into the kiln still too soft.
Here's a few pictures of the BlueBird. It's firing chamber is 20" wide x 5" deep. It weighs approximately 40 lbs.
It comes witht their new Sentry 4.0 Programmer that will hold 4 firing schedules in memory, with 8 segments in each program.
The overall length including the controller on the end of the kiln is 32"
I hope this is helpful......Thanks, Jim

[imghttp://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r64/Bluemoonglass/Image006-1.jpg][/img]

Kilns, Torches, Tools & Supplies for Lampworking and Fusing

BeverleyH

Hi Jim

Thank you for all that information, that's great.  I think it's the same interior finish as the SC2 by the looks of it so will either go for a rack or get myself a kiln shelf for the base (as with my SC2).  I feel happier knowing the kiln's protected in the event of a melt down! :)

CelticGlass

Sheesh this forum...second attempt at posting..last one disappeared.

Quick version of last scribings...  Get a plumbers mat from B&Q to leave on the kiln floor. These are used by plumbers to solder pipes whilst still close the wall, thus protecting your decor. You can put extra beads straight onto it when the initial heat and tackyness has stabilised.

I use this all the time to place small paperweights glass flowers and glass rings on to. No marks are left on my work pieces. Lasts for ever..and thats a long time.

More over a fire blanket I got at car boot sale 2m square for 50p can cover the floor of several kilns.

Max temperature this material will stand 1,165 degree centigrade.

Hope this is info is of some use   ;)

Ray

BeverleyH

Thanks Ray, I'd found a company to make me a kiln shelf to the size I want but your idea will be cheaper, I'm sure!

Bev

Lee - Kilncare

Beverley, the SC2 and the Blue bird are made from the same fibre insulation.

The difference is that the SC2 fibres are put through a process called vacum forming where the fibres are turned into a solid block and the result is a hard formed interior. The SC2 uses this type of interior as the element is "built into it".

The Bluebird fibres are in the standard fluffy blanket style. The rigidiser they speak of is sprayed (normally) onto the surface of the fibre which stiffens the surface to make it less fluffy feeling.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

BeverleyH

Thanks Lee, have PM'd you.

Bev