Oxycons - How noisy is yours?

Started by Bobbo, November 08, 2009, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbo

Hi

Never having met an oxycon in real life (only in the background of youtube videos) I'm not sure how noisy they should be.I thought that they were virtually silent,thinking that in a sick room they couldn't be very noisy!But I've got nothing to go on really.

The one I recently bought has a lowish throbbing motor noise that just irritates me! Think portable generator but a bit quieter (well,a lot quiter to be fair ).As I say I've got nothing to compare it to hence the question - How noisy is yours?

Thanks,

Rob.

GoodMonkey

Mine sort of hums away to itself and then sighs occasionally. 

turnedlight

It does sound like that, I don't really notice it though..
kathryn

Chameleon

I have two one is relatively quiet, the other sounds like its got a 40 woodbine a day habit and is a bit noiser than a cooker fan on full  :-\

julieHB

Mine has had that low hum-with-a-sigh noise, but recently it has started to give out continuous squeaks of hungry fledglings and stops several times during the first 1/2 hour - me thinks it doesn't like the cold weather and has a few aches and pains!
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

sea-thistle

Mine makes noises not sure if they are meant to make those noises! lol but then I realise I have forgotten to turn the ventilation on and that is pretty noisey so when that's running I really don't hear the oxycon  :D !!lol

garishglobes

I think for many of us, the noise level of an oxycon is such a relief after the noise of a Hothead that they do seem virtually silent!  :D
Mine also hums and sighs, but I don't notice it either.

suzanneC

When I first got mine it felt almost as if someone was breathing in the room with me, spooky!!
Have now got used to it but was only thinking the other day that it seemed to be a bit
louder than usual, perhaps doesn't like the cold also, but a lot less noisy than a hothead!

Pam

Mine hums and sighs but I must say the extractor is far more noisy (and very irritating). The oxycon seems quite gentle in comparison.

Redhotsal

They will start to get more noisy if the fan is on its way out. Mine started to sound like an aeroplane taking off shortly before the fan failed. Luckily - changing the fan is quite straightforward.
But yes - they all hiss and rumble away.

sea-thistle

My neighbour over the back from me told me he kept hearing aircraft when he was in the garden and kept looking up in the sky for them, but couldn't see any, then he realised it was my ventilation making the racket!! :D He did chuckle!! :)

Bobbo

Thanks everyone

I'm happy and reassured now that all is well.

Off now to play with my noisy friend!

Rob.