Sand Casting at Liquid Glass

Started by Pat from Canvey, November 03, 2009, 11:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garishglobes

I'll try and get hold of a camera later - mine just turned up. They are heavy!
It is odd, I put a marble in each but the first marble (which we took less care with, thermal crack-wise) seems to have stayed fine. The second, which we pre-heated much more carefully, has cracked all over the place. I think it was in one piece when it left Liquid Glass, but is now in two plus assorted shards. >:( That one does look like incompatibility, the cracks are going off all over the place.... I am a bit upset, I really liked the way the fishes had turned out. Ah, well!

theflyingbedstead

I am so sorry Emma.

Is there any way of cold working it into a two sectioned piece?  Or refusing it together?  I had what I thought was an incompatiblity in one of my mosaic canes, but I have fused sections back together, and so far, so good. I know that it is on a far different scale though.
Charlotte x

Flyingcheesetoastie

Was it all bullseye glass you guys were using on this course?  I've done sand casting before but with philips soda as the furnace batch.

theflyingbedstead

Yes, it was Bullseye in the furnace, and using Bullseye rods and powders.
Charlotte x

sparrow

Oh Emma, what a bummer!!! You worked so hard on these!  :'( So did the pear one survive, then? I guess that's at least something  :-\

I guess that means mine will be at the sorting office - fingers crossed I can pick it up tomorrow morning (and then not look at it until tomorrow after work - eek!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

garishglobes

Yes, the pear survived - so far and fingers crossed!
I was upset because the fish had turned out exactly as I'd hoped, but there's no chance of saving it - the cracks go at all angles and into the unbroken bits :-\
Charlotte, I read your 'refusing' wrong and wondered if I could send it back and ask for a proper one!! ;D ;D

theflyingbedstead

QuoteCharlotte, I read your 'refusing' wrong and wondered if I could send it back and ask for a proper one!! 

;D
Charlotte x

sparrow

"Yeah, that one, yes, that's the one, the one that looks like it was done by Julie Anne Denton, yup, that's mine, oh yes it is"  ;D ;D "I'll have that one - errr....*my* one!"
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

garishglobes

;D ;D "wot do you mean, that she-devil doesn't look like a fish...."  ;D ;D

sparrow

Sabine x

theflyingbedstead

Your flaming lady looks FANTASTIC!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And so does your hand - you must be so chuffed!

The powders worked really well, and I like the impromptu squiggle by her feet - she looks like a genie!
Charlotte x

garishglobes

Oh, I'm so glad the flaming lady survived! She looks just as beautiful cooled as she did while being cast. Congrats!! ;D ;D ;D

Black Heart Beads

That cast looks great and I can see the impression of the leaf on the hand.

I was disappointed with my casts especially the final one :( but it was a great week and I learnt loads. Will show photos when I get home.

Zeldazog

Aw, I love Sand-casting, I must go and have another go (off to e-mail now).

Lloki

WOW, WOW, WOW - again!
Just looking at all these wonderful objects makes me realise just how much I LOVE glass! ;D
Cerri