Can I re-fire?

Started by Bluebell, October 31, 2009, 09:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluebell

Hi there

I've been fusing my dichro pendants for only a few weeks.  Very new to this and I have only been using the auto program on my kiln (have got a Skutt Hotstart Pro).  I've no idea (yet) how to program it! 

Anyway I'm still learning and doing little tests here and there and there are many pieces which are (imo) rejects i.e. the surface is too rough (needs a glass cap) or the dichro is seeping out the sides, or just plain boring!  etc. 

Rather than put them in the bin, I wondered if it's possible to just chuck them back in the kiln with perhaps, in some cases a large cap, extra dichro......

Would they withstand a full fuse again?  I've been using the "Auto, Full, Fast" setting but could use a "Auto, Tact, Slow" - although I've never done this yet.

What do you think?

Linda x

julieHB

Yup, can be fired again  :)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Dennis Brady

You can refire glass multiple times.  Many artisans undertake projects that require firing as much as 5 or 6 times.

BUT.... firing the same glass more then 3 times can (and usually is) risky.  Bullseye and Spectum both state their assurance of compatibility applies only for up to 3 firings.  After that compatibility can shift and components of your project become incompatible.

Guiding principle:
3 times is safe - after that you take your chances.

Pam

Well you learn something every day  :D Thanks Dennis

julieHB

Ooh, that is interesting - as Pam says, one learns something every day!! Thanks, Dennis!
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Bluebell

Thanks folks!

That's great.  Is it ok to do a fast fuse again, or should I do medium or slow?  Also should I select full or tack?

Sorry, I think I explained.......I don't know yet how to program my kiln.  I use it on auto and I only have those choices and so far have been selecting Fast and Full!

Anybody else got any tips of re-firing?

Dennis Brady

Quote from: Bluebell on November 04, 2009, 11:38:43 AM
Thanks folks!

That's great.  Is it ok to do a fast fuse again, or should I do medium or slow?  Also should I select full or tack?

Sorry, I think I explained.......I don't know yet how to program my kiln.  I use it on auto and I only have those choices and so far have been selecting Fast and Full!

Anybody else got any tips of re-firing?

It's usually fine to repeat the same firing schedule, but it's a safe and common practice to always fire consecutive firings at slightly slower speeds.  Whether to do a full fuse or tack fuse depends entirely on the effect you want.  A full fuse will melt everything down to a single common level.  A tack fuse will attach the added glass but leave it at a separate higher level.

Instead of wondering whether to do a fast, medium, or slow firing, I suggest you ignore ALL the preset firing schedules and learn to create firing schedules from scratch.

Repeat......

The very best advice I, or anybody else, can give you is to stop using any of the preset firing schedules.

Ignore them.

Do not use them.