Ventilation: Preaching to the Converted

Started by Stacy, October 02, 2009, 10:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacy

Quote from: Billie on October 02, 2009, 01:05:44 PM
If we can't give you any sympathy, can we give you a slap around the face with a wet fish  ???

Of course!!! LOL!! Might wake me up a bit!!

I'm sure Sam will be doing the calculations for what you need.

I'm actually hiding from her as she's going to give me a lecture and the whole "I did tell you" speech as she's the nursey friend who I should have listened to ages and ages ago and who I should never contradict and is always right!!! (just incase she is reading this)   Gotta Love Her!

Billie

Quote from: Stacy on October 02, 2009, 01:21:41 PM

I'm actually hiding from her as she's going to give me a lecture and the whole "I did tell you" speech as she's the nursey friend who I should have listened to ages and ages ago and who I should never contradict and is always right!!! (just incase she is reading this)  Gotta Love Her!

And she's blooming scary when riled.  You'd better hope she doesn't turn up armed with her brass pokey things, just a tape measure and calculator  :D :D :D

Ilona

In my caravan - BD1- I have a cooker hood and then open my windows, door & roof vent.

A few weeks ago I didn't have the door or window open, and my throat was terrible, and only had the extractor on, and I am thinking this isn't good enough now.

Thanks for the warning, and I hope you are feeling much better now :)

Jay9

Thanks for the reminder about ventilation. I think it is a good thing that it regularly gets brought up as we all tend to let things slide.  I have just put in a temporary extractor (well DH fitted it really :)) but it has made a huge difference already.  I used to only torch for an hour or so as I'd get a bit dizzy but now I can do longer.

When I finally get my 'proper' studio home it will be my priority as I do not want long term health effects from years of inhaling various metals.

Thanks again...
Janine  xx

"You only retire when you stop doing something you don't like and start doing something you do"

Lizzie

Quote from: dinah46 on October 02, 2009, 01:19:00 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on October 02, 2009, 01:00:18 PM
Hi Dinah46

I'm not sure what kind of ventilation stuff is needed so any help would be great

OK, bare in mind that I am not recommending this set up - just trying to point out that a ventilation system doesn't have to be complicated to start with. This is a temporary measure until my garage gets done up (oh to win the lottery :D)

This shows the very 'heath robinson' features of my system, lots of tape ::)  However, it works. The reducer is clamped behind the torch to draw the fumes away from my face.  The hose is taped to the fan on the floor.

This is an overhead view of the fan with the hose taped to it. The grey hose then gets put out of the window when I use the torch.

With hindsight, I would have bought a more compact fan but at the time did not know what I was looking for :)

Edited to apologise for hijacking your thread Stacy, hope you're feeling better now

Thank you for your help not sure if I am sending this right there's a lot to this ventilation stuff

Liz x

Mand

OMG! I get headaches and lots of sore throats, occasional aching limbs and blurred vision, I just have the shed door open. Eeek!  I need to get me some ventilation, I was thinking cooker extractor, but now I'm, not so sure.

Sorry to sound thick but what is a "reducer" ? ???

dinah46

Quote from: Mand on October 02, 2009, 03:44:56 PM
OMG! I get headaches and lots of sore throats, occasional aching limbs and blurred vision, I just have the shed door open. Eeek!  I need to get me some ventilation, I was thinking cooker extractor, but now I'm, not so sure.

Sorry to sound thick but what is a "reducer" ? ???

It's that metal thing shaped like a funnel that I've clamped to the table. They are sold for reducing the diameter on the hose but I thought it made a good funnel to catch a bigger area if you see what I mean ???  Reducer is the name to search ebay with :D

beadysam

Quote from: Stacy on October 02, 2009, 01:21:41 PM
If we can't give you any sympathy, can we give you a slap around the face with a wet fish  ???

Of course!!! LOL!! Might wake me up a bit!!

I'm actually hiding from her as she's going to give me a lecture and the whole "I did tell you" speech as she's the nursey friend who I should have listened to ages and ages ago and who I should never contradict and is always right!!! (just incase she is reading this)   Gotta Love Her!

Told you so.... :P  Daft muppet!  Stick to the jewellery for now eh? ;)

TillyBean

A very worthwhile post, thank you - I have to say you have definately brought it home to me, I will be looking at some ventilation now!

Gail xx

P.S It's not sympathy just concern  ;) hope you are feeling better!!

Lloki

Thank you for posting this Stacy - you've certainly given me a lot to think about that I was trying to pretend wasn't a problem. Best wishes.
Cerri
Cerri

firedinglass

I have recently been looking into this and it all seems available on ebay. Reading your post  diane  what size fan and hose you would recommend, i was thinking 4" to 6" is that what you think?  :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

dinah46

Quote from: glasslisa on October 02, 2009, 07:05:12 PM
I have recently been looking into this and it all seems available on ebay. Reading your post  diane  what size fan and hose you would recommend, i was thinking 4" to 6" is that what you think?  :)

As I'm venting quite a large space I chose the 200mm, approx 8", but I can't remember what cubic metre it shifts.  There's a post by beadysam where she put some calculations
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4852.msg88455#msg88455

firedinglass

Thanks Dianne, have to study that a bit ??? ??? ???    I was wondering about having the duct in front of the flame how is that possible given the flame etc?  Do you have it set far back, to the side or under the flame.....if  in front of the flame how wide is your worktop?  So sorry for all the questions but I'm getting my workshop done as we speak and i don't want to find i've made the space too narrow for the duct!  I really,  appreciate the advice :) :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Pam

I too have forgotten to switch ventilation on and the first symptom I get is a dry sore throat. I usually pop out and take a few deep breaths of fresh air before returning having turned the ventilation on and wafted the shed door half a dozen times.

Hotglass28

Just to add further to the talk.

Ventilation is the MOST important thing. I would not work with glass without it because.

A) Your lungs are very fragile and they do not repair fully if damaged

and

B) If you pass out and your on your own, well thats obvious one.  flame = fire = Death.  Simples.

Just opening a door or window does not cut it, if people still not heed the advice that is on the net and preached all the time. Well, say no more. We need to thin out the dumb any way.   (Joke!)

Denise.

Its a very heathly thing to worry about and people should not be told off for telling people about the risks.  ( I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here either, just saying what I feel )

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name