Mandrels - home made

Started by Krysia@No98, October 01, 2009, 11:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirsygirl

Quote from: LittleHen on October 05, 2009, 01:21:43 PM
Mmmm I have 3M lengths of rod waiting for me to get cutting, they're 3mm, 4mm and 5 mm but I think I'll be lucky if I get round to it this side of Xmas and then I'll be way to fat and pregnant to cut them without doing some damage!!
Still with a small baby 2 kids and no studio I'm sure I'll get round to it at some point... :-\
I might look into a sawing blade for my dremel to see if I can at least make them into 1M lengths  ;D
You should never buy long lengths of metal rod on impulse...
Jessie
;D

where did you manage to find them?

K

squirsygirl

Quote from: squirsygirl on October 05, 2009, 05:45:47 PM
Quote from: LittleHen on October 05, 2009, 01:21:43 PM
Mmmm I have 3M lengths of rod waiting for me to get cutting, they're 3mm, 4mm and 5 mm but I think I'll be lucky if I get round to it this side of Xmas and then I'll be way to fat and pregnant to cut them without doing some damage!!
Still with a small baby 2 kids and no studio I'm sure I'll get round to it at some point... :-\
I might look into a sawing blade for my dremel to see if I can at least make them into 1M lengths  ;D
You should never buy long lengths of metal rod on impulse...
Jessie
;D

where did you manage to find them?

K

the steel rods, not the kiddywinks.  Sorry 'bout that. 

K

Krysia@No98

So I now have these hundred rods and, well, they are so lovely and tactile I can't bring myself to cut them up...

(how daft am I?)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Scubeadoo

Quote from: Krysia on October 05, 2009, 12:40:36 PM
Ha ha, when I got divorced there wasn't even a discussion as to who as getting the power tools.  That boy wouldn't have known the business end of a drill unless I shoved it up his @### - ON!!

Anyhoo talkin of long pointy things

My 'mandrels-to-be' turned up this morning.  The post man rang at about 7.55.  I went running out in my pink PJs (looking as girlie as can me,  and I'm not usually a pink girl) big grin on my face saying, yay - my welding rods have arrived!!  It made the postman laugh.  ;D

ROFL
www.etsy.com/shop/Scubeadoo
www.folksy.com/shops/Scubeadoo

Krysia@No98

all the rods are now topped and tailed.  I am going to chop them in to thirds in front of the TV.  And what ever I have left I am going to 'show' to Richard and hopefully Bob tomorrow and then challenge them to an 'manly' test  :o

Krysia@No98

Much to my pride I manage to do them all myself!!!

Here is the before

And these are the after

(I wasn't being anal about the lengths - honest  :-\)

Any ideas as to what I can do with these?

I will say that after doing them all.  this is not something that I would want to do on a comertical basis.  I also recognise that I will not be able to do the 2.4mm rods.

Thank you everyone for your help and the exact instructions on whereto et stuff and which exact thing to get.

Zia

wow Krysia, you going to need a load of bead release for those ;-))

as for the bits......I know on here somewhere someone used something like that to make bead stands.....basically you melt a blob of glass at the end (no bead release!) and flatten it so it will stand....let it cool and voila.....a nice lil glassy stand for your pretty beadies....

xxx
Melting glass again! "happy dance"

Krysia@No98

Fab idea!!!

So that's 200 bead stands to go with the 300 mandrels  :P

Pat from Canvey

Or get a pin vice and use it to hold an end, dip in release and bead away.

glassworks

reading this cracks me up because i can fell everyone's pain!...

i generally use a metal chop saw to cut the bundles (i cut 10kg of each size when i make mandrels) and then use a belt sander to smooth the edges of each mandrel... takes quite a long time, and i end up with a pile of the "shorts" too... tempted to try use them to make little space martians like di east made for us in murano!.. she must have a pic of them somewhere?... and they go in the kiln no probs to do an annealing programme too...

;D

Hamilton Taylor

We use a similar technique as Q, and the ends get used to make 'pot-stick marbles', for decorating plant pots or the ends of garden canes...
eventually.....
Sean

Krysia@No98

I have had a request from some one (who I shall keep nameless unless they want to change that) asking me if they can buy them from me!!!

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on October 13, 2009, 08:26:04 AM
Or get a pin vice and use it to hold an end, dip in release and bead away.

They are only 8 cm long.

Quote from: Hamilton Taylor on October 13, 2009, 09:07:04 AM
We use a similar technique as Q, and the ends get used to make 'pot-stick marbles', for decorating plant pots or the ends of garden canes...
eventually.....
Sean

Pictures!!!

Quote from: glassworks on October 13, 2009, 08:51:35 AM
tempted to try use them to make little space martians like di east made for us in murano!..

Definately pictures of those!!!

Yellow friend

Krysia,

Going back to the beginning of this thread where you mentioned about strong men getting your beads off - have you tried soaking them in Cillit Bang (tip from RH Sal I think)  I've had some which I thought were going to be added to my pot plant collection but with an overnight soak - came off (with a lttle encouragement).  I generally hold the bead in a piece of kitchen towel and use a pair of toothless pliers and give them a good yank - usually works. 

PS have you heard anything from Baked Beans

Shelia
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

Pat from Canvey

"They are only 8 cm long." that's plenty long enough for a bead. How many of your beads are longer than 8 cm?  ;)  ;)

Krysia@No98

Funny you should say that.  I had a go at a button the other day.  'Course you can't twist those to get them off.  I Cillit banged it and off it came.  Though I will say - check your hands for cuts before going near a mandrel dripping in cillit bang.  Ouch, ouch ooouch!!!  I didn't even know I had a paper cut before ::)

Sometimes the pliers, the bang and my lack of muscles just don't work and Bob is the only solution!!  I think secretly he like to be given beads to take off.  (Gives me an excuse to give him, hem hem, 'special' attention)

I haven't heard anything from Baked Beans since we all met up in London.  I went to the Kempton bead fair and didn't see anyone there.  Had serious problems with the trains though so got there over an hour later then I wanted to

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on October 13, 2009, 01:24:55 PM
"They are only 8 cm long." that's plenty long enough for a bead. How many of your beads are longer than 8 cm?  ;)  ;)

All of them !!!! Those Elephants I made were life size  :D