Mandrels - home made

Started by Krysia@No98, October 01, 2009, 11:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krysia@No98

Sorry I know this question has been asked a thousand times before

I want to make my own.  I know I need bolt cutters (and a strong man)  Are this the right things

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-x-1000mm-Tig-Rods-1.6mm--dia-316L-Stainless-Steel-_W0QQitemZ320420844084QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090906?IMSfp=TL0909061610001r6031

It says they are 'bare' So I am guessing that means no flux...

If this is the wrong thing can someone point me in the right direction?

Ta
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

garishglobes

They look right to me! 316L stainless is the key, I believe.
Plus the 1.6mm ones aren't too thick, so they might be ok with a weaker man too :D

Krysia@No98

Fab!!

I shall press the order button then!!

That's a relief because I don't think I'm going to see the really strong man for at least another week

As an aside, I was telling him the other week that I was talking to some people at a bead fair and they were giving me some friendly advice and part of that was getting beads of mandrels.  So they said what do you use for getting beads of mandrels, and I smiled and said I have that covered I give them to Bob! Ooo what's Bob got?  Muscles!!!

julieHB

That's a lot of mandrels  ;D In addition to muscles and bolt cutters you need some sort of grinding device to smooth the ends. I happened to find an electrical grinding stone thingie in my DH's workshop  :D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Krysia@No98

It is a lot, I did get 24 when I first started some of them are a bit bent from when Bob was being determined.  ::)

Tell me about this grinding stone thingy  :)

garishglobes

The thin ones do tend to get bent occasionally even without a determined Bob :D I think it just happens.
Don't know much about grinding thingies but I have a bench grinder from when I did silversmithing that does the job quite nicely.

julieHB

I suppose a bench grinder is the correct name for it..... :D Normally used for sharpening knives and other tools, I believe.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Krysia@No98

Ok, that doesn't sound like it will be too pricey!!  I shall have a look for one of those.  Ooo they have loads of second hand ones on eBay, all bloomin collection only!!  All quite big too (I live in a very small flat and it's shrinking rapidly with this hobby :) My poor computer doesn't have a desk anymore - I think it's in shock)

(I have one of my bent ones in the office, I am using it to help with my Mandrel Dexterity)

Linz

I bought some of those TIG rods a few months back. My OH's Dad cut them for me with an angle grinder and used a bench grinder to file the sharp edges away - did the job a treat and really didn't take long to do. Thank goodness for his workshop and thousands of tools! (- seriously, he has the biggest shed I've ever seen - I've such shed and tool envy!)  ;D
My website: http://www.punkypuppy.co.uk
Linz x

Krysia@No98

I envy your Dad's shed too!  I have more DIY stuff then my Dad, but he does have a very useful drill set.  I used to 'help' him when I was little putting up flat packs.  Now they just get me to do it!  The last begging text from Mum referred to me as their little flat pack angel.  She knows how to get me to do things for her!

I have found that B&Q have a bench grinder for £15.  And Dad does have an angle grinder. (is this not going to cause little bits of metal to got flying?)

Mary

Do you really need a bench grinder? Would a dremel not do, and it would clean your beads? I don't even bother grinding my ends, my nice bolt cutters cut very neatly, no burrs. And I can cut even the 2.4mm ones myself, and I'm known as Wee Mary for a good reason, lol!

Krysia@No98

EVIL Mary, you have no idea how much I WANT a dremel!!!  I have told myself that I can't have one til I get the bathroom done.  Then I am not just buying it for the beads!!  ::)

Actually I thing the lovely neighbour Alex has one...

To be honest I don't fancy carrying a bench grinder home (don't drive)  It was very interesting getting the 3m waste pipe home on the train, it was a bit of a battle to get it onto the train, the 2 m lengths were fine though

The Bolt cutters at B&Q are £50!!

Some research needed I feel

(What can I say the spell check agrees with me it's just tried to correct Dremel to Dreamily)

sea-thistle

it could end up a lot more expensive to make your own mandrels than buy them me thinks ???

beadysam

Try a fence tool, cuts mandrels and comes in for alsorts of other jobs too.  I used to make mandrels and sell them, but I lost the will to live.  I only make my own now.  If you are cutting thick ones, pop them in a vice and cut close to the vice - any waggling will bend them.

Mary

Me, a bad influence? Hee-hee!

My cutters just look like hefty wire cutters, not the long handled ones, and I think they were about a tenner. Might be from Maplin? I'll ask DH.

My Dremel-alike was about twenty quid from eBay, complete with flexi-drive so it's light to use and safe near water. It might not be as sturdy as the real thing, but I've had it a few years now.