Looking for info schedules for a full fuse, tack fuse and slumping for 104

Started by Jolene, August 31, 2009, 10:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeldazog

That's interesting Dennis - I have to say, I only used one colour murrini, or murrini from the same supplier, so obviously, incompatibility isn't an issue then. And I don't have any flat coe 104 to play with, so I haven't tried that.

Flyingcheesetoastie

Have to say that I came to the same conclusions as Dennis but without the experimenting!  I use Spectrum a lot because they have nice dead flat opal glasses that I can print onto, but then I don't do much fused work, really only single sheet stuff.

Although I don't really want to fuel the corporate machine that is Bullseye and it's world domination, they do make it very very easy for artists at all levels to kiln-form!  And why not, after all it is out individual creativity and ideas that should hold up a piece not technique as pure technique is easily copied.

Having said that, I do know that Jo and others probably have an innovative reason for wanting to conquor 104, so I would say go for it too and I also have a plan to try and use my filligree rods for some kiln-work...

Dennis Brady

Quote from: Zeldazog on October 17, 2009, 11:05:50 AM
That's interesting Dennis - I have to say, I only used one colour murrini, or murrini from the same supplier, so obviously, incompatibility isn't an issue then. And I don't have any flat coe 104 to play with, so I haven't tried that.

One of the greatest myths circulating with torchworkers is the claim that you can mix COE "as long as it isn't too much".  Claims as to how much "different" COE can be used range from 5 - 20%.  All myth.  The "fact" is that even 1% incompatibility can destroy a project.   Bullseye and Spectrum make glass to a carefully controlled standard, and test the glass before labelling it as compatible.  That is not so for any of the Italian glass.  I have learned that it is NEVER reliable to fuse ANY 104 glass.  I wouldn't even trust the identical colour from the identical manufacturer unless it came from the identical production batch.  You can't trust fusing float glass unless it's to be fused to a piece from the same sheet.  I believe the same applies to Italian glass rods.  The COE and viscosity is too wide a range to be trusted.  Fine for torching but untrustworth for fusing.

Jolene

This has turned in to a very interesting discussion. For the project that I have in mind it will simply have to be a case of try it and see.....I don't think that a strong chance of the idea failing miserably is enough to put me of giving it a go.

Now where are all those extra hours in the day that I badly need?

Dennis Brady

Quote from: Jolene on October 17, 2009, 07:06:23 PM
This has turned in to a very interesting discussion. For the project that I have in mind it will simply have to be a case of try it and see.....I don't think that a strong chance of the idea failing miserably is enough to put me of giving it a go.

Now where are all those extra hours in the day that I badly need?

Many of us suffer from Tooitis.

Too many ideas - too little time.

theflyingbedstead

QuoteMany of us suffer from Tooitis.

Too many ideas - too little time.

Yep

I am now waiting to see the 104 madness which lurks in my kiln. Schrödinger's cat...

Charlotte x

Flyingcheesetoastie

I was going to try fusing from the same rod, just to figure out temperatures really as I echo Dennis' comments about compatability and wince everytime I see people mixing things like Bullseye and Effetre!  I wouldn't even want to put that under the polarising filters to see the stress in there!

theflyingbedstead

My 104 samples survived!  I have checked them through polarising filters and they look fine. Sorry about the crappy photo...

I have taken the temperature a bit too high, but here is my schedule for the SC2 using a kiln shelf placed halfway up:

Ramp 1 250 to 715C hold 25 mins
Ramp 2 60 to 515C hold 60
Ramp 2 60 to 370C hold 0

I used kilnfire paper, and there was no problem with sticking.  I'll be running the same program except I'll be taking it to 710 today.  The samples I used were some Effetre sheet from Martin and Effetre Transparent Teal, Opaline Yellow, Opaline Nile Green, Opaline Grass Green, Trans Black stringer and a 104 murrini cane which I made, and I can't remember exactly what's in it...except lots of Copper Green.
Charlotte x

theflyingbedstead

Thank you Jo - you are lovely for saying so...and they are only test samples!

Following on from my first set of tests, I have used slightly larger sections of glass (same thickness) and I reduced the firing to 710C and the test pieces placed at the back were not quite fully fused, and the one at the front was slightly over fused - rather like my previous samples.  It is amazing how delicate the balance can be!

I will be testing a larger sheet tonight, to see how that works, and I think I'll adjust the schedule to 708C and hold it for 30mins instead.
Charlotte x

julieHB

Fab testing, Charlotte! And thanks to all for all the valuable information that has been shared!
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr