Can anyone help with this?

Started by bluefairy, August 22, 2009, 10:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefairy

Ok, I made this bowl that I really like, made the blank, slumped it, THEN discovered this weird bubble, it looks like somehow a tiny bit of brass has got in.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix it?  I thought of drilling it out, filling with clear powder and refusing, but don't think this will work coz I'd need to take it to full fuse temp to melt the powder, which would ruin the slump  :'(

Anyone got any ideas?
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

Zeldazog

Well, I suppose you could drill it out, re-fuse then re-slump....

Or, does it really detract from the piece, Helen - cos that looks fine to me!  Perhaps you could show us the whole piece.  Or send it to me for assessment....  ;D ;D

Sulis (Hazel)

Where is it on the actual bowl Helen? Is it slap bang in the middle, or off to the side? Is it really noticeable?

Is it too late to tack fuse some surface decoration onto it which could cover the spot and possibly re-slump if really necessary?

Or you could always sell it as a second if you're unhappy to let it go as it is? I'll bet most people wouldn't even notice it.

:-*
Hazel x

turnedlight

It's a lovely design - I don't know about fusing, but I don't think it's a big flaw, you could sell it as a slight second (people do love a bargain!) or keep it for a family pressie maybe? I'd think about just putting it out for sale and seeing what happens..
kathryn

bluefairy

I think it probably is me being hyper wotsit about it, it just made me go "GAAAHHHHH!!!"  I'll take a piccie of the whole piece tomo so you can see what you think x
Helen xx

Zeldazog

Methinks Helen might be a perfectionist.....  ;)

bluefairy

Quote from: Zeldazog on August 22, 2009, 11:34:15 PM

Only in certain areas  ;)
Helen xx

Sulis (Hazel)

Quote from: bluefairy on August 23, 2009, 06:03:09 AM
Quote from: Zeldazog on August 22, 2009, 11:34:15 PM

Only in certain areas  ;)

Yeah - like everything glassy! We know, there is no escaping it. It's why your stuff is so damn GOOD!  :-*
Hazel x

bluefairy

fank you haze  :-*

Ok, excuse the shockingly bad photo, but here is the whole thing

Even though the pic is really bad, you can still see bad brassy bubble  >:(
Helen xx

beadysam

Sorry, no bright ideas except sell it as a second - or swap it on here, I'd certainly offer glass or frit as a swap if you fancied going down that route...? ;)

Hotglass28

I think if you drilled it and placed a tiny piece of clear glass over the top (and I mean tiny) I think it might work.  BUT, you may get more bubbles forming from the sides of the hole you have just drilled because the drill bit is not very a very fine grade.

I would give it a go, or just sell it as a second or raise some cash for charity from the sale and put it down to experience.

Tis a bugger when this happens, glass has a mind of its own eh.

Denise- HTH
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

DragonflyLynne

I would sell it - I don't think it detracts from the bowl at all.  :)

for chain maille supplies, kits & workshops, bespoke headpins, earwires and more! Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crispy and taste good with ketchup! Dragonfly (Lynne)

sarah t

once it has stuff in it you would not see it ?...and imperfection is what makes it unique  ...

theflyingbedstead

I don't think that you need to sell it as a second...it is an interesting feature within the glass, and there are other bubbles there too.

Charlotte x

bluefairy

I love the idea of selling it for charity, so i've decided to sell it for out Tommy's fundraiser.  Going to pop it in the Tommy's thread, but in the meantime, if you're interested, it's listed here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160359732816

I hope someone wants it!  :-[
Helen xx