Oxycon??????????

Started by Edi (Edith), August 03, 2009, 04:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edi (Edith)

Can someone please explain to me what is oxycon? I have been using mapp but would like to find something better. As a newbee I wondered if I could get advice on setting up an area to work in. At the moment I am sharing workshop with Hubby, Austin 10, engine lift etc etc. I am thinking about moving into shed used for grandchildren toys 8x6 small but at least I wont be doing the long jump, high jump and getting into trouble for moving some item of motor mechanic rubbish. Hubby said he will do the shed for me, electric etc. He is electrician by trade so no problem from that. I only use a small area in his workshop so moving into shed will be ok and I can maybe have it extended in time. I have been reading the messages on studio and  workspace and there seems to be a lot of knowledge/experience out there.
Edi
Nana to 5 beautiful girls

Shirley

I assume you're using a hothead at the moment if you've got Mapp.

An oxycon is a machine that makes oxygen. If you are using a torch that needs a mix of gas and oxygen then it's a cost-effective and safe way of producing the oxygen part of the mix. Most people who post regularly on here use oxycons rather than oxygen in a tank.

If you're fed up with Mapp and want to used tanked propane then you can get a kit for this from Tuffnellglass. It works out a lot more economical and reliable than the little canisters. You don't need extra oxygen if you have a hothead.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Mary

Edi, oxy-con is short for oxygen converter concentrator. It is a machine that takes in air and separates out tyhe oxygen, so you can use a torch that needs two fuels (gas and oxygen) without an oxygen tank.

If you are happy with your Hothead torch, you might be interested in a bulk propane kit, a hose and regulator that links your torch to a big propane bottle. So it will last several weeks instead a couple of hours. It's not cheap, but you'll need to buy the same stuff for a dual fuel torch, so it's not wasted if you upgrade. Tuffnells stock bulk kits and oxy-cons too.

Hope that helps!

ETA Snap, Shirley!

Shirley

Quote from: Mary on August 03, 2009, 05:02:38 PM
Edi, oxy-con is short for oxygen converter. It is a machine that takes in air and separates out tyhe oxygen, so you can use a torch that needs two fuels (gas and oxygen) without an oxygen tank.

If you are happy with your Hothead torch, you might be interested in a bulk propane kit, a hose and regulator that links your torch to a big propane bottle. So it will last several weeks instead a couple of hours. It's not cheap, but you'll need to buy the same stuff for a dual fuel torch, so it's not wasted if you upgrade. Tuffnells stock bulk kits and oxy-cons too.

Hope that helps!

ETA Snap, Shirley!

lol, great minds and all that, Mary ;) :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Forester18

Yep - I agree, oxycon. Having just set up my studio I did some costings. I think you can only buy small cylinders of Mapp which don't last long. I still have a large oxygen cylinder but shan't be replacing it at nearly £40 a fill it's too expensive (especially with the surcharge, rental and grossly inflated admin charge Boc make), I reckon you could easily use this in a week. An oxycon will pay for itself quite quickly. I find that a 19Kg cylinder of propane lasts a long time and if you shop around you'll find that some companies will not charge a deposit and there are companies a lot cheaper than Calor. I find that I can use small boro with just the one oxycon, at some stage if I decide to use up the large stock of boro I've got I will get another oxycon and double up and this should run a Lynx quite well and also the torch I use at the moment with more power which is a National Combination.

Frederick

Edi (Edith)

Hi Frederick
I am just coming to terms with some of the wording used by everyone so pleeeeease what is small boro.

Thanks everyone I am going to have to conyinue as I am at the moment untill I can afford some more equipment especially as I have just bought myself a SC2
Edi

Forester18

Hi Edi,
Boro - Borosilicate glass contains more than 5% boric oxide, which increases  the glasses resistance to temperature change. Its often used for scientific work and cookware (pyrex). It can withstand rapid temperature change and is quite forgiving when it comes to thermal shock. However,its forgiving nature also means that it needs much higher temperatures to work. It also hardens very quickly also because of the high temps required during it's manufacture chemicals used to colour it are more expensive so the range of coloured is more limited than in soft glass. It also has a low COE about 37 I think whereas soft glass say effetre is about 104 and beware unless the COE's are very close you cannot mix them together. Hope this helps.

Frederick

noora

Quote from: Mary on August 03, 2009, 05:02:38 PM
Edi, oxy-con is short for oxygen converter.

I think you mean oxygen concentrator ;)

(I don't mean to be a nitpick, but if someone wants to google for more info, it's easier if you have the correct term...)

Mary

Oops, did I type that? Sorry!

Edi (Edith)

thankyou everyone I have been looking up the prices so it is now on my wish list.

Edi