Struggling with cushion press

Started by JaySpangles, July 23, 2009, 09:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaySpangles

HELP please.

I am struggling with my Zoozii cushion press getting neat edges. I have begun to get a hang of the lentil press, but this little cushion is driving me to dots.
Is it just a case of PP&P or are there some secrets that I haven't discovered?  Or should I just put it on ebay and buy a pillow press!!!!!!!!! Perhaps I will have just the same, or a different set, of problems with that.
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.   :'( :'( :'(

Lush!

Sharp cornered presses are quite tricky.

You could try making a round bead, press, then add dots of glass at each corner and press again.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Shirley

If you have brass proddy tools you can actually push the glass into corners. I assume it's the pillow one - looks like a tootie frootie sweet - bit of an awkward one, but makes a great shape when you get it right! ;D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

JaySpangles

Thank you for the suggestions.  I will try, and post pics if success follows!
J x

lemon kitten

I had the same problem.  I do the dots on the edges thing too and it works.  What I have found with presses in general is that they are NOT the answer to all our beadie shape problems, and they do take some time and skill to get used to.  The hardest one I have used up to now is the shell one...it's a real b***er.  But back to your pillow i would also suggest you use the tool you use to squash beads with on the edges, press, shape it square, press again, shape, press....... keep going till you get the shape you like.  
Here's some I made (one of the first sets I think) does'nt show up the shape much as they're black, but you should get the gist

Janey x
Never stand up in a canoe!

Trudi

Yep - presses aren't an easy way to make beads - you do need to practise with them for sure!

Funnily enough - I really like my shell press and got to grips with it quite easily - though I did think it would be a hard one. Guess we're all a little different!!

If it is the zoozii pillow press - I understand as I have really struggled with this one too - but it is a gorgeous press and the gentle facets do make the glass shine!

Like Shirley I sometimes use the brass tools. But what I find best is to have my base on the torch marver (if you have one) and my initial footprint is just inside the mandrel indents of the press. Build it up slowly till it's a small barrell (not enough to fill it yet) then without the top part of the press I get the glass on the madrel hot and gently press it inside so it starts to spread out  - then I add wraps of glass around the edges  - and keep pressing till I get enough.

One of the problems I think I had with this initially was that I wasn't making it "puffy" enough at the edges and where the holes are I had a horrible finish! The amount of times I was going to sel this press ............ now I'm glad I kept it!

It's hard to out into words - but I hope that makes sense!