Torch vs Window position

Started by Redkite, June 30, 2009, 02:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redkite

Hi!

Many apologies - this is going to be the first of MANY questions, because I've finally persuaded my man to sacrifice half the garden for a beady shed!!!!!

It will reduce the garden to a mere patch of decking, but don't feel too sorry for him - he has a perfectly lovely front garden, and in return he will be able to reclaim the conservatory!

Anyway, I only ever work in the conservatory in the evenings (work, toddler etc etc), but on the odd occasion I've tried during the day, it's been impossible to see the flame. Looking through piccies here though, many people seem to have their torch in front of a window.

So my question is, does it matter if I set up the torch pointing away from the window, at right angles or pointing straight at it?

I'm going to try to blog the whole process of designing, buying and installing, because there are so many things to think about, research etc, my brain is quite ready to explode and I haven't even chosen a shed yet!!!!

Thanks for your advice!

Trudi

My torch is right in front of a "window" - shed type - nothing fancy. But when it's bright it is very hard to see the flame - so I put a piece of card board up to block out the light just in front (the cardboard gets put up on the outside - so won't fall into the flame).

If I were you setting up from scratch - I would set up my torch facing a blank wall and have the window behind me!

Helen G

I had my torch facing a blank wall but ended up changing to just to the right of the window. Facing the wall made me worry as I couldn't see people approaching the shed and jumped once or twice, not great as this thread http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13117.0 and poor Kay will tell you! Occassionally I have to drop the blind but not very often and only ever in the morning.

Mary

I'm turned away from the window too, it was just too bright and the flame was invisible. I'm at right angles now, an it's fine. Sometimes evening sun is the worst, because it's so low!

Ian R Pearson

Yea, not near window as flame hard to see in sun. Try a darker place but make sure flame tip doesnt touch wall when igniting. I think some position burner near window for ventilation purposes. Fixing mirror on wall means you can see behind. Try one on ceiling to give you a different perspective of glass working. It's interesting to say the least.

Ian

saffie

I pretty much only torch at night cos I find it so hard to see the edges of the flame for stringer work. I face away from the window and also have blacked out the windows when I do torch during the day!

Pam

I have the window to the right of me and a lorger one behind me. When I went to another studio where the window was infront I just couldn't see the flame either.

Sarah

I have the window in front of me - but its north facing so I haven't yet had too much glare.

Sarah
xxx

sea-thistle

I have a sheet of steel across the front of where I workwith my torch :)

Dragonfire Glass

I work in a south facing conservatory and some days it is difficult to see the flame but you get used to it and can see it in all but the brightest conditions. Just the smallest bit of cloud can make a difference. I find the heat in summer far more difficult to deal with than the brightness.

turnedlight

I have the window to my left side, but my desk is angled across the corner, to maximise the space in front of the flame which points straight into the corner. :)
kathryn

Redkite

Thanks!

I think I'll need to point the torch into a corner, to maximise the distance from the wall, so I will also point away from the windows.

Great! this now finalises the shed door positions and hanging direction (I'm trying to get a door offset to one side of the end, so I have more room for a bench down the side - have to have a door the other end, otherwise there'd be no access to the pointy end of the garden!)

Now, if only the very slow man at the garden centre would get back to me about whether I can have a stable door...

Cath