copper went blue!

Started by Trudi, June 29, 2009, 02:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lottie

Quote from: Calico Cat on June 30, 2009, 07:11:08 AM
Love the pendant.

At risk of being a real smart a**e  ;), there are two oxides of copper :

Cu2O - in pure form this is red in colour and probabaly responsible for the red colour you would normally expect.

CuO - in pure form this is black in colour but can be used to create red/blue/green - it's the oxide used in ceramic glazes

In theory, the higher the oxygen concentration the more likely you are to get CuO

So .... [*thinks hard*] .... if you're using an oxygen-rich flame you would me more likely to get the blues and greens?

Trudi

Sorry - I was being dim - it was too early when I read your post earlier!!1  :D

Hamilton Taylor

CuO - the black one - can be used in fusing to give a nice blue and bubbly effect. I'd imagine that if you scrubbed up a piece of copper sheet nice and bright, then dipped it in a strong oxidiser, say, hydrogen peroxide, or maybe even that household bleach that advertises as 'extra oxygen' or some such, it should go black, or at least discolour a bit, with an oxide coating. Then fuse it, and it should give blues like the pic in the OP.
Or, maybe not.
Well, that was all a bit 'stream of consciousness', wasn't it.
Back to work.

Sean

beadysam

Quote from: Hamilton Taylor on June 30, 2009, 03:02:01 PM
CuO - the black one - can be used in fusing to give a nice blue and bubbly effect.
So is that the stuff fusers use to make those lovely bubby pendants and coasters?  I always wondered how that was done!
:)

dinah46

Quote from: beadysam on June 30, 2009, 03:55:51 PM
CuO - the black one - can be used in fusing to give a nice blue and bubbly effect.
So is that the stuff fusers use to make those lovely bubby pendants and coasters?  I always wondered how that was done!

:D ;D My secret is out Sam ::)

beadysam

Quote from: dinah46 on June 30, 2009, 04:26:22 PM
Quote from: beadysam on June 30, 2009, 03:55:51 PM

:D ;D My secret is out Sam ::)

He he! :D  I love that effect! I wear my necklace all the time, and always get nice comments too ;D