Main Menu

encasing?

Started by bubblefizz, February 28, 2007, 09:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vicki

I've only managed to encase small beads...the big ones I always get some of the inside on the outside ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

Let the base bead cool right down until it is stiff and while you are heating your encasing rod, just wave the bead in and out of the top part of the flame to keep the overall temperature even, I tend to do a wrap at either end, then I am left with a channel in the middle, I heat a big blob and using the channel as a guide I push the blob down and smoosh it around the bead. Keep the base of the bead cool and just keep waving it in and out of the flame all the time you are doing this.
     I'm left with a knobby bead now. so I heat either end first and tidy them up, then I heat the centre, even it up and shape it, Dont be afraid to turn your flame up or down to make it bigger or smaller. If you panic then just stop, move the bead up to the cool part of the flame and assess what you need to be doing, and start again. Keep the encasing rod in your hand, as you are heating your bead you may notice areas that you missed while encasing, just heat a blob and dab it over the top.

Does any of this make sense? :P

Vicki

It does, I'll keep that stored in my head & I'll give it ago tomorrow...ta Tan ;D

Carol

Makes good sense Tan, I've been struggling with this too so I'll try your suggestion too! :)
Carol

♥♥Tan♥♥

I tore my hair out over encasing and was convinced it would never happen for me........I tried everything I read on all the forums and STILL couldnt do it.....then one day I just got it.....play play play..none of this practice lark ;D ;D

bubblefizz

Cool thanks Tanok will give it another go  ;D

Mary

The eureka moment for me was when I saw someone using tools to push the clear around. I have a set of cheapo dental tools, I heat the clear and nudge it over the bare bits. You can do it in several stages (just keep dipping them in water to cool them).

mams

Hi guys, I've been pulling my hair out with encasing too & was going to give up but all your tips has encouraged me to fight the good fight. After my jewellery course later I will have another go. Wish me luck! ;D

Michelle.x

Les

Good luck Michelle...... I'm still awful with encasing...

Les xx

Trudi

Glad that I'm not alone on this. I thought it was also me being new and from reading other posts  - I've read that effetre is not as good to encase as Lauscha is.

I've used some lauscha glass and have noticed that it does melt far easier than effetre. I've got some clear due soon and I might have another try.

Sometimes I try new things and if they don't work then I tend to leave it for a while before trying again. If you try to hard and it doesn't work then I get angry & frustrated which doesn't help!! I guess that more experience at the torch in general will help, and being a bit more relaxed too!!

I've had a similar problem with surface flowers - for ages it was real hit or miss with them. I still need to practise with them, but it is getting better - and some of it is down to tips and little things I learn naturally like heating the rod evenly - how much to heat it etc etc..

Trudi

♥♥Tan♥♥

Keep at it girls its sooooo worth it, when you've cracked it post us a before and after pics so we can oo and aaa at your progress,,,,and it will be soon I promise!!

Trudi

You mean the ones that haven't been flung across the room - LOL!

Mary

I always wanted to do encased flowers, but never got them right. Every few weeks I'd go back and have another go, meantime practiced other things, and eventually I got it. Not great yet, but recognisably flowers, lol! Having a break let me work on other things that improved my general technique and control, so my flowers were better too.

♥♥Tan♥♥

I let the bead get cool enough so if I tap it on the table it makes a click sound, then I encase, will go and see if I can find a pic

♥♥Tan♥♥