Large hole beads help please!

Started by SMHBuss, June 19, 2009, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMHBuss

I purchased a large hole mandrel at the Flame Off this year.  I have made 2 successful beads out of about 30.  What am I doing wrong.  The problem I am having is when I go to take it off the mandrel it falls apart.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Wishing Wells Glass

The bead itself falls apart?!  Do you have any pictures of these beads?  The bead wall might be too thin.  Is it sticking to the mandrel?  I always double-dip my bhb mandrels.  Do you put them straight into a kiln? 

Pics would def help.  Sorry you're having a hard time, hon!

x

SMHBuss

Thanks Keira.  I will go take a pic.  The bead just breaks in 2. 
I didn't double dip but it is thick and the bead is sticking to the release and yeah I put it straight in the kiln.
Maybe it's too thin.  Humph! 
I'll go get a pic...

Kaz

It sounds to me like it is getting too cold on the mandrel when you are working on it and cracking. The whole bead needs to be kept warm. Sometimes even if the crack heals up when you work further on the bead it does not always do so completely and then it may crack open in the kiln or when you are taking it off the mandrel. Some of my early BHBs had this problem and some were unsaleable because you could see a line where the bead had cracked and not healed properly. You should be able to feel it though if the bead cracks on the mandrel because of cooling.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

SMHBuss

Here is a pic...

So just super heat it before it goes into the kiln when I am finished with it then huh?!

Thanks for your help!  Going to go have another go.

:)

Wishing Wells Glass

The bead def looks a bit too thin.  And what Kaz said is right on.  If the bead cracks due to cooling while you're working on it, you should be able to feel it.  Try making the bead a bit thicker all over and see how you go :)

x

Lush!

Hiya Suzy

Yep, I definitely agree with the others, your bead got cool while you were working on it.  That big mandrel is very tricky because of the hollow centre.  Rather than superheat at the end, you really need to work quickly and be constantly turning and bathing the whole ring of glass in the flame.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

SMHBuss

I just finished making one so we shall see tomorrow how I get on.

Thanks you guys!