Minor???

Started by Zia, June 07, 2009, 08:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zia

It looks like my days of torching on a "weedkiller" might be over soon....

Someone is upgrading and wants to sell me their minor...

Any tips and tricks about what I should look out for when buying.....(its via the internet so wont get to look at the torch first!)

Anyone with experience using the minor? things to look out for...

Can I use a normal gas bottle for it? How does that effect the "heat" making beads....

anything else??

thanks xxxxx

Melting glass again! "happy dance"

Margram

Are you getting an oxycon at the same time?

The flame is a bit narrow, so if you want to make long beads you
have to keep waving the mandrel back and forth to keep the bead
warm.

Marg x
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Zia

Quote from: Margram on June 07, 2009, 08:54:25 PM
Are you getting an oxycon at the same time?

The flame is a bit narrow, so if you want to make long beads you
have to keep waving the mandrel back and forth to keep the bead
warm.

Marg x

Zia

oops! sent that off too quickly....

No I am actually planning to use an oxygen bottle as I have easy access to them.....and not an oxycon!

Not planning to make long beads just yet....trying to get the round ones to look good first..might want to try using presses though!

xxx

Rosenquartz

Hi Zia

I've just swapped from HH to Minor. If you can get pictures ask for a good close up of the tip - end on - with the torch turned off  :o have good look for any signs of glass on the ends - I've only used mine a few times but have already dropped a bit of frit onto the end - I don't think it caused any problems but I imagine it could if left for a long time and was not cleaned out. I was at Jolene's the other day and one of the candles on one of her torches was significantly longer than the others where something like that had happened at some point in the past - not a problem you want to deal with when you get a "new" torch.

Also ask about the controls - I gather they can work loose if the user adjusts the flame a lot whilst using it - I think a little resistance is good as it is all too easy to whack the flame up high and nearly melt the garage/shed wall!

I've already noticed that the flame is a lot hotter - which means that softer glasses such as white and ivory can turn to liquid easily - but it's also a calmer flame than the HH. I've heard that with tanked oxy it's even hotter (I'm on an oxycon).

It's good though - I'm really pleased I've swapped - I'm particularly pleased that I can use transparent glass now - something I never got the hang of on the cooler HH.

And I seem to have developed an addiction for the hyphen button on my keyboard - sorry if it's annoyed anyone - I'll try to avoid it in the future!

Neil
Rosenquartz

Zia

lol DH will be pleased if singe the newly plastered walls.....NOT!

Thank you so much for the info...I have already asked for pics...checking the candles is a good idea...I suppose you mean the "little flames" that come out?

Dont worry about the hyphens...I use dots! ;D

Rosenquartz

The "little flames" are exactly what I mean.

Good luck.
Rosenquartz

Zia

Redhotsal

In my opinion the minor is the best all round bead making torch on the market. But, hey, that's just my opinion (although I've used quite a few torches in the last ten years).
It's not the biggest torch around but if you want to make normal beads then it's probably the most reliable and most stable.
I've had one of my minors for eight/nine years and it's still going strong. I turn it up and down like there's no tomorrow. It gets a lot of abuse as I let students use it too. Turning it up and down will not damage it. Over tightening the knobs when you turn it off WILL damage it.
If you get glass on the surface you can knock it off. You can even get a fine steel wire which you can poke down the holes to get rid of any contaminants/glass. Don't do this when it is on - like I did when I first started. I survived and so did the torch. The wire caught fire though and that was an interesting ten minutes.
Always burn off the "spare" gas int he hoses at the end of a session and it will give you many years of reliable service.  :D

sarah t

i have only had mine a few weeks and im very happy with it ...the difference in noise level and heat is fabby ...its also uses hell of a lot less gas

.........i use dots too lol

Redhotsal

Actually - thinking about it - I use hyphens.  ;D

Zia

Now I am getting excited!

Wonders how many burn scars Sal has.....
I have loads although only been torching for a month or so...
Momma told me never to play with fire or I will get burnt, and I am old and still dont listen......grins wickedly....
I keep putting my arm or hand down on something hot, even touched the flaming torch once while it was burning too!!! Last week a piece of hot glass shot off backwards and landed on the top of my head....damn that hurt....and I was so stupid I was too shocked to even react while the hair was smelling rather horrid! DH suggested putting my head under cold water and I nearly slapped him...

You can tell how many hours I have been behind the torch by the amount of current burns I have!

have a great day

Calico Cat

Quote from: Zia on June 08, 2009, 07:57:20 AM

I keep putting my arm or hand down on something hot

I keep putting my hot marver on the workbench - and then leaning my elbow on it . . . .

Carole

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Zia

Krysia@No98

no scars yet but have managed to put my hand through the flame.

(Worst burn so far in term of pain was yesterday morning from pitta bread - I did swear very loudly)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-