workstation

Started by Louise Menzies, June 04, 2009, 03:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louise Menzies

Hello

I am new to lampworking although i have been making jewellery for nearly 2 years now!

I am going on a lampwork course at the end of June with Diana and Sally and I'm very excited, although i am going to wait until after the course before buying my kit encase it doesn't work for me!

I am worrying about where to put my workstation?!?

I have a spare room at my mums house (which terrifies me indoors) or putting it in my BFs garage (who's dad needs to trust me with gas and fire..how to persuade him?) and if i cant do it there i don't know where else to look :S I really want to make something of this as it keep me on my toes and stops me becoming lazy! :-\

Can anyone suggest anything?

Louise x
Louise x
www.facebook.com/tootsieshandmade www.tootsieshandmade.etsy.com http://tootsieshandmade.blogspot.com

lampworklover

Hi Louise, glad you found us!

Can't really make a suggestion, but from personal experience I wouldn't recommend using a carpeted room! I'm temporarily in our dining room until we move house and have managed to scorch the carpet a couple of times  :o

I know several people use their kitchens quite happily, is that an option?

Steampunkglass

Quotehave managed to scorch the carpet a couple of times 
same goes also for wooden floorboards  ::) However things do tend to 'bounce' better on wood, concrete is a little safer but then that's the trade-off if you drop glass it's going to get broken. However mostly it's your desk/table you should try to make sure is heat protected.

If you can pick up some sheets of metal and cover any suitable desk/table, that's the best bet as that's where most of your hot tools and rods should be. To my sin I do have some MDF board exposed which does tend to singe occasionally! I have some old sheets of aluminium left over from a print shop I nabbed years ago, but I am sure you can probably liberate some nice sheets off things like scrapped washing machines and so on.

Lloki

Hi Louise,
Guarantee you're going to get the bug! ;D
I think you should wait until you've had your lesson and decided what sort of setup you're going to use.
HH and Mapp could be used just about any where (and easily tidied away afterwards), bulk and oxycon requires a bit more thought - where ever you're going to do it, there's always shards of glass (no matter how careful you are!) so not nice if walking about barefoot >:(
As long as you're sensible and follow safety percautions you should have no problems "playing with fire" - but you will have loads of fun ;D ;D ;D
Just make sure that nothing around you can catch fire or scorch and make sure there's good ventilation.
I remember reading somewhere that a now well known and respected beadmaker started off in the garden using her father's B&D Workmate as a bench with "the breeze blowing the HH flame around"!!!
Just goes to show, where there's a will there's a way - if it's for you (and I'm sure it will be), you'll be able to work something out.
I hope you enjoy your lesson - and then the obsession can really begin ;)
Cerri

Zia

I totally agree. Go to the course first.....then decide whats best!

When I (tryna type with a cat on my keyboard ;D) first mentioned to DH that I wanted to do this his answer was something like "dont come near the house! - we are currently building lol

Then I went on course....showed him a list of the things I need and he looked at it and said, "ok you can do it on the kitchen table"

now I can even do it in his office lol
Now he is even planning a room in the new house just for me........grins......but that could take forever!

Admittedly I am still on a weedkiller (mapgas) so no running around with oxycons etc....and quite frankly I am enjoying the flexibility right now!
Melting glass again! "happy dance"

Hels4444

When I started out I bought an old desk from a charity shop and popped it in the corner of my dinning room, I put an old mirror on the top, I had lamant flooring and never manged to scorce it!!  you will find a way.

Helen

Krysia@No98

After you have considered all the safetly implications

Ask yourself this question, which is more convienient in relation to

getting to it/easy access
cleaning it up (if required)
Being able to get on with it with out being disturbed  (Hot melted glass and roaring torch are not deterants to some
                                                                        people - don't get me started)
being able to be at it for hours with out disturbing others (HH is noisy!)

Oh and make sure to tell the insurance company.  It shouldn't put your premiums up and will give you peace of mind
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Louise Menzies

Hello Again

Me and my mum have sat down and decided if 'its for me' then she will go halfers with me on buying a new shed (Studio) for the garden with full electrics etc.. how exciting!

I am getting really excited but 'putting my feet back on the ground' i will wait until i have compelted my course and get started striaght after!!!!

Im a go get it girl so hopefully i will be able to show you my new studio in the next couple of months (hopefully sooner :D)

Do any of you have any problems with doing it in an garden studio? Any suggestions on build materials/fire safety/insulation?

Lou x
Louise x
www.facebook.com/tootsieshandmade www.tootsieshandmade.etsy.com http://tootsieshandmade.blogspot.com

Lloki

QuoteDo any of you have any problems with doing it in an garden studio?

I BEG your pardon!!!! :o :o :o ::)

No, seriously, I think your Mum is fantastic! I think secretly she's going to creep out there and play when you're not around - you'll think you're using twice as much gas as you actually are and your glass is evaporating!

Many people work in a garden shed with no problems at all (keeps all the mess in one place, you wont constantly be disturbed, with sensible percautions (don't forget the fire extinguisher!) you'll have a GREAT time. The only downside? - it gets bloody cold in the winter, but a portable radiator can soon sort that out ;D

As regards your question? NO, NOT REALLY!!! LOL :-X

Cerri

Trudi

Hi Louise

I torch in a shed  - no problems! You can pop round next week and see for yourself!