Do Didys Block out UV Rays

Started by Stacy, June 02, 2009, 09:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacy

I've lost my sunglasses and its really bright outside it making my head hurt a little from squinting
Can I use my didy's as sunglasses until I get my replacements?

Lush!

Gosh, you'd think so wouldn't you - considering that my sunglasses cost about £3 from Matalan and my didys cost £eek!  :D :D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

theflyingbedstead

No they don't I'm afraid!  I have found a comment on www.phillips-safety.com/Glass-Working-Metal-Frame/Index.htm about their 202 ACE lenses
"...not recommended for sun protection use unless UV filtering coatings are applied". 

The recommended UV protection for sunglasses is 99% for UVB and 95% for UVA, so I think you should treat yourself to a jazzy new pair!
Charlotte x

Lush!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

ejralph

If you have any polycarbonate safety specs though, you could wear those.

From what I recall when I worked for a designer sunglass company, polycarbonate as a material is inherently UV filtering.

But I agree with everyone else - just go treat yourself to some sunglasses. They are not a fashion thing, they are an important part of protecting your eyes, especially if you have blue eyes. If your eyes are dark they have a tad more natural defence against the sun.

One thing I never leave the house without is sunglasses. Even on cloudy days in winter. Eyes is important innit.

Emma

Stacy

Thanks for the info laides! It does seem a shame as I've got some of the little ones from Martin and they look really nice. The frames actually suit my face which I can never get normal sunglasses to do!

Anyway I went and got my glasses and it hasn't stopped raining since!

ralphus

Becky