Nortel Mega Burner

Started by Lyn G, April 30, 2009, 01:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyn G

I am delighted to have won a Nortel Mega Burner as my prize for winning the intermediate category in the recent Beads & Beyond competition.   :) :).......I understand it is winging its way to me as I speak!

I currently have a Nortel Minor Burner which I have used since I started lampworking and have been completely satisfied with.  So.....I was wondering......

How many people use a Mega Burner?
What do you think of it?
Are there any advantages over a Minor Burner?
Can it run satisfactorily on one oxycon?
Once you have used one, would you go back to a Minor?

I imagine the Mega Burner is hotter and faster.  I really meant to see if there was one I could try at the Flame Off.....but somehow didn't get the chance as there were so many other things to see and do!!

Any comments or advice anyone can give me would be appreciated! :) :)

sparrow

Me! I love my Mega Minor. I would say it's not necessary unless you're looking to make biggie sculptures (which is why I love mine), but overall, the flame is bushier than on the Minor. I'm only just now getting the hang of it for detailed work. I went straight from the HH to the Mega Minor, so I can't help you with whether I'd go back to a Minor...I was looking to get one as a second torch for teaching.

HTH!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Mary

Great prize!

I moved from a Minor to a Mega. It's quite a different flame, bushier, I wanted that for the big and long beads I do. I kept my Minor for a few months in case I changed my mind, but I didn't go back, I'm very happy with it. I run it on 2 oxy-cons though, so I can't answer that question.

ebj

aaahhh I soooooo wanted that torch lol!!! Never used it so I'm not use but  I bet its lovely :) Enjoy!
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com

Lyn G

Sorry Emma......I feel really guilty now!!  :-[ :-[

I'll lend it to you if you like! :) :)

ebj

omg!! Dont be daft lol!! You deserve it :) xxxxx
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com

flaming beads

Quote from: Lyn G on April 30, 2009, 01:10:00 PM
I am delighted to have won a Nortel Mega Burner as my prize for winning the intermediate category in the recent Beads & Beyond competition.   :) :).......I understand it is winging its way to me as I speak!

I currently have a Nortel Minor Burner which I have used since I started lampworking and have been completely satisfied with.  So.....I was wondering......

How many people use a Mega Burner?
What do you think of it?
Are there any advantages over a Minor Burner?
Can it run satisfactorily on one oxycon?
Once you have used one, would you go back to a Minor?

I imagine the Mega Burner is hotter and faster.  I really meant to see if there was one I could try at the Flame Off.....but somehow didn't get the chance as there were so many other things to see and do!!

Any comments or advice anyone can give me would be appreciated! :) :)

hey  :) i'm sure this is too late for your decision making now....but i'm new as of today and spotted this! i started on harry the hothead and went straight on to buy the mega....love it and haven't looked back :) i do remember that it was a pleasure to work in relative quiet after the noise that resembled an aircraft carrier that was the pleasure with the hothead!! ;D
have fun. georgie.x

Lyn G

Hi Georgie,

Welcome to FH.  I was lucky enough to wiin the Mega Burner as a prize, so haven't had to make any decisions.....and I've got it now anyway! :) :)

I haven't yet had the chance to use it.  Do you run yours on one oxycon, and is this sufficient?

I'll get it set up as soon as I get the opportunity and then I can have a play! :) :)

Lyn

flaming beads

Quote from: Lyn G on May 19, 2009, 12:21:24 AM
Hi Georgie,

Welcome to FH.  I was lucky enough to wiin the Mega Burner as a prize, so haven't had to make any decisions.....and I've got it now anyway! :) :)

I haven't yet had the chance to use it.  Do you run yours on one oxycon, and is this sufficient?

I'll get it set up as soon as I get the opportunity and then I can have a play! :) :)

Lyn

hey lyn:-)
              yes...i've got the oxycon and it seems to be ok:) but saying that, i made my decision on this one because i fancied a go with borrosillicate when i was more sure of myself but haven't used any as yet.
keep me posted when your set up, it'd be good to compare notes ;)
take care. georgie.x

Zeldazog

Quote from: MagicOPromotion on May 25, 2009, 02:33:48 PM
Any update on Nortel? How many jobs are they going to slash?
Do you think Air Canada will be next?

Troll alert

sparrow

Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial