Main Menu

Effetre/Moretti White

Started by Shirley, February 21, 2007, 08:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

Is there something odd about white glass? I just used some for the first time, made a big dot and then melted it in, but it kind of puffed up as it was a big air bubble first. It's settled down ok, but it looked very strange for a while. I tried it again, and was going to do a flower, but the ball of glass on the end just got too big to touch it down to make smallish dots. Haven't found that with other colours so far.

Perhaps it's just me, or is there some secret I haven't discovered?
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

CelticGlass

Hi Shirley

The white glass has tin oxide in it to make it white. Of all the glasses this attracts the heat quicker than any other colour..more so even than black. You have to use the edge of the flame when using white and work farther out in the flame if necessary

Good luck - Ray

Shirley

Thanks, Ray, so I'm probably overheating it then. It seemed to settle down ok - doing a penguin tummy  :) - but was a bit scary at the time. Was imagining a big glass bubble suddenly bursting!

beadysam

I like anise white better - its not as soft and is easier to work with but can be pretty shocky for some people!

Trudi

I know that when I first started using my white effetre I had to het it more gently than other colours - I wasn't sure if this was a characteristic of the glass or something to do with the batch!!

glassworks

the opalino white is much stiffer and easier to work, and we cannot get effetre white from the factory for love of money right now anyway!!.. glad someone else has had trouble with pulling white stringers - the stuff melts like butter and just flows!!!!!

8) 8)

♥♥Tan♥♥

I always think of it as drippy glass

Shirley

Bit surprised to find this thread back again - it's two months' old now. I'm a lot more confident with white than I was. A little bit goes a very long way, I find! :D