a quickie re torch conection

Started by sarah t, May 21, 2009, 04:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarah t

those lemon pip shaped 'clips '. which are on  bulk/ oxygen pipes....do i squeeze them (with pliers?) to tighten ?

is this right ?.........pipe from gas/oxycon....to torch .. (remove hh connector from  pipe.)....push pipes on to correct metal pipe on torch and tighten clip.......and tighten how ?

instructions i have tell me how to connect to oxycon but not to torch ! ... ''we (tuffnels )have done this bit for you ''...but they have not ...and before i end up screwing it up thought i would check !!

Lush!

oxycon? oooh!!

Mine have jubilee clips that I tighten with a little screwdriver, don't yours?

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

sarah t

there is one jublie clip on oxygen pipe ....was supplied two of the lemon pip shaped bits and no other jublie clip ...so was not sure !!.....

sssshhhhh ....oxycon ...minor ......ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh..... ;)

Lush!

Oh flippin heck, ask Sal ... SAL where are you ???

(oooh aaaaah, fab!)

sarah t

i have got a jublie clip here so will go with that i guess ....but dont know what the lemon pips are for ...and worry when bits are left over lol

kerensky

Quote from: sarah t on May 21, 2009, 04:29:07 PM
there is one jublie clip on oxygen pipe ....was supplied two of the lemon pip shaped bits and no other jublie clip ...so was not sure !!.....

sssshhhhh ....oxycon ...minor ......ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh..... ;)

I think that Martin sends out two lemon pip clips ( love that) fittings in case you lose one or need a spare. I went to Halfords and bought a few of  the small Jubilee clips and used those on oxygen pipe ( both ends - ie torch and oxycon end) and gas pipe going in to torch. ( just be careful not to over do it when tightening them)

I think that you can tighten those pipe fittings that he gave you with narrow needle nose pliers if you are strong enough, but could I find them when I needed them ? NO, so used jubilee clips instead.

Good luck

kerenksy.

Helen G

I have just connected my new torch with these and my dad used my glass nippers, you don't squeeze the whole thing, just the creases, well that's what we did and it's worked, no leaks  ;D

kerensky

Quote from: Helen G on May 21, 2009, 05:58:17 PM
I have just connected my new torch with these and my dad used my glass nippers, you don't squeeze the whole thing, just the creases, well that's what we did and it's worked, no leaks  ;D

Lucky you being able to find those nippers in time ;-) Were they easy to squeeze?

sarah t

i have jublie clipped it now but the tails from the clips are very annoying ...i have wrapped them  in masking tape cus i kept getting my hand caught on them!!...which im sure is a no no but untill i have got it set up to my liking will be a feature !.......thanks everyone  ;D

Kaz

We have the lemon pips (tube crimps) and special crimping pliers (which are currently on loan to Helen V). Because my DH is Corgi (now Gas Safe) registered he had to use these as jubilee clips are not considered to be suitable fittings for gas pipes. If anyone wants details of where to get these, let me know and I'll ask him to dig out some info on the supplier.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

sarah t

i was wondering with the lemon pip clips if they are on how do you get them off should you nead to ?? ...which is why i went for the jublilee clip option ...if i had the strength to do them up in the first place !!

Hamilton Taylor

Ditto jubilee clips not being considered safe for gas hoses.
Also, if you wrap a little electrical or masking tape around the torch barb, you can thicken it so that the plastic oxycon hosing is a push fit, and makes a good seal. All mine are done like this, and I have no problems with them coming off, even with the 'big' torch with 3 oxycons on....
'lemon pip' ( ;D) crimps are not supposed to come off. However, you can do it, with a pair of end nippers; grab the crimp tightly, and twist until the metal tears. you will need to cut the hose back a couple of inches, to get rid of the bit you chew up in the process.

Sean

Lush!

Quote from: Hamilton Taylor on May 22, 2009, 08:34:45 AM
Ditto jubilee clips not being considered safe for gas hoses.

I thought I'd heard that but I'm having a case of finger in ears ... lalalala ...

Redhotsal

Yep - sorry to come in late on this, but as far as I know Jubilee clips are now considered not correct.
However, I have to say that having asked around as many people in the know as possible the question of whether they are actually illegal or not has still not been answered. Definitive answer anyone?

The reason that Jubilees are not so good is that they offer uneven "crimping" on the hose and won't pop off in the event of an emergency, apprarently they cause the hose to split rather than just come off which is more dangerous. Still - should be alright on the oxy line if you have a concentrator as the pressure is much lower but in the case of the propane you ought to swap for the crimp fittings.

The lemon shaped fittings are crimp fittings and yes you do tighten the two "lugs". I usually take mine to a guy called Damien at the tool hire shop to do as he has all the gear and is very obliging. Now he merely rolls his eyes when he sees me trailing into his shop with a length of hosing.

Ian Pearson

I was about to demo at a public event  afew years ago. Just about to light up and fire officer arrived and noted my jubilee clips and so banned me from demoing.

Hey Sean you use 3 oxycons, wot no cylinders? Any advance on 3? LOL

Ian