Can you get prescription diddy's?

Started by sublimekate, May 20, 2009, 10:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sublimekate

Hi,

I wondered if anyone had, or new if it was possible to get prescription Diddys. I'm one of the diddy's over your specs people, and it's all a bit heavy and cumbersome. I know there's the option of a screen or clip-ons which I'm thinking about too but I just wondered if prescription diddy's was an option.

If anyone does have them do they think it was worth it?

Thanks. Kate xx

Sulis (Hazel)

Hi Kate,

I know from previous threads on this subject that it's possible, but very expensive. Sal posted on another thread about a much cheaper solution which is brilliant - stick on lenses that attach to your Diddys.

I found some quite cheaply and they arrived yesterday - I'll be sticking them on tonight. I got them from Lensbase - http://www.lensbase.com/product.php?xProd=394&xSec=10    - they cost me £14.70 plus minimal postage, arrived quickly and came with good instructions. You basically stick them on with water and they stay there!!!

I'll go find that other thread and link here in a sec  :)

Haze  xx
Hazel x

Sulis (Hazel)

The original thread is here  :)  Started with Martin talking about Diddys for Flame Off! Ah those heady Flame Off days.....  :D

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12343.0

xx
Hazel x

kerensky

Hi Kate, I am too a two pair of glasses girl, and what a right royal pain in the ar** it is.... I have tried the stick on lenses too, one problem with that, they don't remain stuck on my Diddy's and keep falling off.....  So - I am going to order a pair of prescription diddy's from here...

http://www.visionarysupplies.com/Detail%20Pages/01-000.htm

I will be picking them up when I visit the US in July, want me to sneak another pair in my suitcase for ya?

Cheers

Kerensky

Redhotsal

I either use the clip on didys with a pair of elastic bands to keep them on, which work well - but the lenses are much bigger than the current trend for narrow rectangular lenses so you need to hold them on with something.
Much better than that though are my standard Downtown Didys - which are a bit costly, but fit really well over my specs and don't make me look quite as creepy. Plus, they're really light.

dinah46

I've been using the lensbase stick ons for a couple of weeks now and they're fine - well stuck on though apparently you can take them  off easily. You stick them on by flooding the lenses with water and allowing to dry overnight - easy peasy :D

sublimekate

Thank you, lots to think about.

I'm off to the opticians tomorrow you see, the current specs I have are chunky trendy jobs, and with the diddy's over it's just too heavy for long sessions, I do it anyway and end up with nose ache, and I'm getting a nice dint in the ridge of my nose, it's a pain.

I was thinking I'd take my diddy's to the opticians with me and try to get a lightweight pair of specs that the diddy's fit over nicely, however the stick on lenses look great for the money, if they stick  :D  but certainly worth a try, anything 'easy peasy' sounds good to me  :D

Thanks for the link Kerensky, that option looks like the best to me, it's what I'd prefer, and they don't look too expensive do they.

Josephine

I got my optician to do some for me, I think they were getting on for £200 though and they had to go away and look up what I wanted first. They were definitely worth it though far more comfortable than trying to cope with two pairs of specs at once. I would have given the stick on ones a go first if I had known about them though, quite a price difference if they work ok.

Diane

Hi Kate - I had prescription diddies some time ago - I don't think they were as common then but they were so heavy - I am short sighted but needed varifocals - very uncomfy. My prescription changed quite rapidly and so I ended up wearing an extra pair of reading glasses on top - not ideal and my arrangement was quite Heath Robinson and involved a certain amount of brown wrapping tape ::)

I now have a screen which I like but have ordered the stick ons for extra magnification on my glasses. Oh I just wish I could stop this getting older bit - I'm really only 25 in my head ;D

Diane x

Calico Cat

I got a set of the stick on lenses last week and tried them out for the first time at the week-end.

They are great - I would thoroughly recommend at least trying them (at less than £15) before paying out for presciption didys. If your prescription changes you could just buy another set of stick ons.

I really should have a 2.00 for my left eye and a 1.75 for the right - I bought a pair of 1.75 which are OK but may well go back on and order a pair of 2.00 so I can use one of each and have a spare pair (have to find a way of knowing which is which . . . .)

Carole

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

sublimekate

Hi Carole I'm the same, and that's exactly what I was considering, ordering a pair of each, still only £30.00. They look small though like the bottom of a varifocal, but I'm going to order them, they've got to be worth a try.

Quote from: Diane on May 20, 2009, 12:27:53 PM
Oh I just wish I could stop this getting older bit - I'm really only 25 in my head ;D

Diane x

Aww Diane, when you discover how to make it stop don't forget to share will you  ;)

And I hadn't really thought about my prescription changing, I think I need to find out exactly how much it would cost to get it done.

June

This is interesting as I'm another wearing 2 pairs and finding them heavy on the nose.  However, the stick on ones only go so far and not enough for somebody as as blind as a bat like me!   I did spot, though, that Martin is now stocking a pair that are designed to go over normal glasses and are supposed to be better and lighter, so maybe that's worth a try? 

kerensky

Well,  after reading this thread I thought I would give the stick ons another go, maybe it was me....?

So last night I brought my diddy's in and flooded the lenses, as per Diane's post and then left them to dry overnight. This morning they are still in place (great)  but have a bubble of air underneath them, which if I press goes away but comes back a few seconds later :-( so for me they don't work, shame as I did have a few hours of hope...... it appears that the stick on lenses are just not the right shape and that is why they keep popping off.

Thankfully my eyesight has not changed in 5 years and I still need the same strength reading glasses that I can buy off the shelf, so I think that for me the prescription diddy's are a viable option as they will last me a long time.

If anyone would like my lenses let me know and I'll gladly give them away, they are even eyed +2's  on the reading glasses scale, I actually bought them a bit stronger than I needed and if they fitted my glasses they would have been perfect.

Hey ho, some things are just not meant to be ;-)

sublimekate

What a shame Kerensky, it was worth a try.

Well I went to the eye man today, my eyes are healthy, big relief, but my prescription has changed a bit, I've actually decided to give contact lenses a go after all that. They've ordered me ones that can correct my astigmatism and they are high moisture/let lots of oxygen in and shouldn't be a problem drying out while torching, I've got a free months trial anyway so I'll see how I go with these, they're a bit more expensive than your standard contacts but if they do the trick I'll be happy.

Also the optician was very informative about potential damage to my eyes if I don't protect them, pretty scary, so no more peeking over diddy's for me.

Calico Cat

Quote from: kerensky on May 21, 2009, 02:04:42 PM

If anyone would like my lenses let me know and I'll gladly give them away, they are even eyed +2's  on the reading glasses scale, I actually bought them a bit stronger than I needed and if they fitted my glasses they would have been perfect.

I have the pair of +1.75 and was going to order a pair of +2 so I could use 1 of each.

If no one else wants them, would you like to swap for some murrini/frit/rods or something?

Carole

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .