batch annealing and the silvered effect disappearing off my beads in the kiln..b

Started by chocolateteapot, May 09, 2009, 02:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocolateteapot

Hi, well i have annealed a few time in my fusing kiln as i cant afford a bead kiln etc but i am having problems with the silvered effect glass like triton and psyche..they kind of disappear on some of my beads.....A bit annoying as u can imagine. I have been annealing at 490 oC cos my kiln was burnging the beads a bit at 516 oC which my kiln suplier rcommended...i think it burns hotter than it reads. My last batch also had a bit of discoloration on the ivory from looking slightly overcooked..only in places and only some of them
So, Are there any rules that i should be following about batch annealing beads? So i dont discolour or overbake them. I bake for 2 hours as some of my beads are bigger than in inch.
I have a Skutt hotstart pro.
I ramp up over about 3 hours if i remeber correctly and then anneal really slow...it takes over 12 hours from start to finish ( thats the fuser in me)
What am i doing wrong...Its gutting when the silvered look disappears.

Thanks guys
Tracy
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

Pat from Canvey

I think you are probably baking the beads for too long. I anneal in a Paragon SC2 for one hour after putting the last bead in or one hour after the kiln reaches annealing temperature.

chocolateteapot

thanks...i batch anneal from cold and they only stay at top for two hours cos i have bigger beads which take longer...but i will try with smaller beads an one hour if u think that will help
x
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

Redhotsal

If you anneal in an oxidising atmosphere inside the kiln you will start to lose the silver effect.
Put a lump of carbon (you can get them from jewellery suppliers) in with your beads. That will absorb the extra oxygen leaving you with a reducing atmosphere which will preserve your reduced glass.

Dragonfire Glass

Quote from: Redhotsal on May 09, 2009, 09:35:41 PM
If you anneal in an oxidising atmosphere inside the kiln you will start to lose the silver effect.
Put a lump of carbon (you can get them from jewellery suppliers) in with your beads. That will absorb the extra oxygen leaving you with a reducing atmosphere which will preserve your reduced glass.

Well, I just learnt somehing new! Thanks Sal  ;D

Lush!

Oh, that's really interesting, Sal!

If you had say turquoise or copper green beads in at the same time then, would they also be affected by the reducing atmosphere?

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Stacy

Quote from: Redhotsal on May 09, 2009, 09:35:41 PM

Well you truly are a font of all knowledge!! ;D
That's really interesting and definatly something I am going to try!!!

chocolateteapot

thanks sal..its me tracy...who u taught....with jane...made a gorgeous beads with silver bumps on it all even and gorgeous...and it came out with the silver completley gone...will have a go with that me lovely..xx

Mary

Julie, not sure about annealing, but I've fused with copper green and it went icky grey with reduction. I'm presuming it was the kiln paper "burning" that changed the atmosphere.

Redhotsal

Tracy....Chocolate Teapot......uh....should've guessed heheh!
Special Lady - Font of knowledge........ha.....I like it!!!
Jules - I have no idea wot would happen....... ;D