INSURANCE for lampworking at home

Started by Lush!, April 22, 2009, 10:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

That sounds like just the job Heather! 

So as NFU are insuring your Home as well as your Homeworking, that must cover the fact that you use your home for working too ... if you see what I mean!!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Ian Pearson

The BSSG ( British Society of Scientific Glasssblowers) have used NFU for several years now. We have our library and trophies insured but more importantly are covered when we do demonstrations at hotels etc.. Public/Product liability etc.. up to £ 5 million and additional to cover buildings etc.. Good value.

Ian

Bumpy Beads

Yup and even covers if I have anyone helping me out at fairs. Will post more detail about cover when I'm home from work. I compared it with Wallace insurance and the NFU cover is actually better. I remember having an argument with hubby at the time that NFU wouldn't beat it, but they do.

I shop around for everything. Provided you know exactly what you need it's the only way to keep prices down. Specializing in an area is fine, but monopolizing it is not, IMO. Healthy competition keeps everyone on their toes.

Yes, I am a rebel who also sourced my own propane hose and connectors and saved a fair bit  LOL.
Heather

My Etsy Shop

beadysam

Quote from: Bumpy Beads on May 07, 2009, 07:56:45 AM
I shop around for everything. Provided you know exactly what you need it's the only way to keep prices down. Specializing in an area is fine, but monopolizing it is not, IMO. Healthy competition keeps everyone on their toes.

Yes, I am a rebel who also sourced my own propane hose and connectors and saved a fair bit  LOL.
[/color]

Me too! 

Bumpy Beads

I just had a nightmare posting this! Second attempt!

It's important to mention that the NFU Homeworker insurance is only available as an add-on to existing House Contents insurance. Also it only covers homeworkers with a turnover up to £10k. Any more than that and you would need one of their business policies.

I sorted out my schedule, and the cover for the key items is as follows;

Business Contents £20k (equipment)
Employer's Liability £10m (includes volunteers, friends helping out at craft events)
Public Liability £2.5m
Pollution & Contamination £2.5m

(Stock is covered under the contents element of the household bit of the policy).

When I took out my insurance I phoned the NFU and explained about lampworking and they knew all about it. Having insured the British Society of Scientific Glassblowers for several years I'm not surprised! My flameworking in the house did not phase them in the least. So much so that I kept asking if they fully appreciated exactly what lampworking involved! They were really cool about it, but I confirmed it all in writing to them just so I had proof I had informed them.

I did not ask whether my cover includes demo's away from my home, or teaching at home, as neither of these are things I see myself doing. My resident NFU expert (hubby) says he'd need to clarify whether I'd be covered for demo's, but that teaching at home would be covered. In fact he's paid out on a claim by a potter today who had an incident in his home studio.

When compared to the popular Crafts Insurer, my premium was little different to what they quoted, but my cover is far more extensive.

I want to emphasise that the cover I have may not suit you and I am not endorsing it. However, I hope it demonstrates that there are options available. There is nothing wrong with shopping around, but you must understand exactly what you need.

Hope this helps.

Heather

My Etsy Shop

Helen G

I might have to have another word with my local NFU office! We insure our farm, home and my studio and contents with them and when I asked for public liability for people coming into my studio they said they couldn't do it  ???

Bumpy Beads

Hubby says just ask them about their "Homeworker Add On to your Home & Lifestyle Policy"!
Heather

My Etsy Shop